Agnostic.com

32 8

Religion and Science.

Do you believe science and religion can intersect within someone's life? Or do you believe the two are completely incompatible? Personally, if someone chooses to have both religion and science in their life then the two subjects must be separated. Science for the material and physical world. Religion for moral support of ethical questions.

What's your opinion? 🙂

randaghostie 4 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't see science and religon as compatable, period. Having said that I acknowledge the few scientists who claim to be religious. My opinion is that some hold on to please others. Some like Ben Carson are just plain nuts. Any left arre a puzzelment.

@TheMiddleWay I believe Casey07 may be referencing numerous polling data which reveals a disproportionately high number (when compared with the public at large) of members in the elite National Academy of Sciences report not holding a belief in a personal god, or belonging to a particular denomination.

They have and do. Too many examples to count. Newton, Mendel, Copernicus to list but a few.

It's highly debatable whether religion provides "moral support for ethical questions" at all, let alone providing understanding of the way the world actually works - something science seeks to do. So, no, I do not think the two are compatible, they are competing systems for understanding the world and what operates the world.

I think there is a lot of claims that science and religion are incompatible. Considering Newton and Faraday alone kind of shows that to be wrong. One of the first people to come up with the big bang theory was a scientist and a Catholic priest.

I think using religion to be inspired to come up with experiments seems fine and maybe even worth wild. But rejecting the results because of your religion is bad! If your religion requires you to make factual claims about how the world works and those contradict science, then that is the problem too.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 7, 2018

A friend of mine said to me that she believes in evolution but she also believes in God. That makes no sense to me. Creation and evolution couldn't both have happened. I think all religion is rediculous fairy tales. Every person has morals and values. There's no practical application for religion. You however can have whatever you want in your life. I only decide what's right for me.

I think they are incompatible

I think they are incompatible

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.