Agnostic.com

59 4

If applicable, how did you quit smoking?

I'm ready to quit smoking but have found it more difficult than the first go-around. How did you quit and did it stick?

• 22 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
ashortbeauty 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just stopped just over 20 years ago and had no problem with it. I stopped boozing at the same time with no problem at all.

I used to quit every year or two just to be sure that I could, that was long before nicotine patches existed. The last time was so tough that I never went back. But always in my mind was that vid.

Niquitin mini lozenges

One on one hypnosis session. I stated reasons why I wanted to quit and the therapist used those same words/phrases during the session. She told me that if I started smoking again, hypnosis would not work the second time around. I had zero cravings afterward. That was in 1997.

JGal Level 7 Dec 20, 2018

Wellbutrin (Bupropion)

Giving up smoking is not easy. Don't beat yourself up if you can't. One day the time will be right but the anxiety of not giving up gives the power straight back to the weed and compounds the situation.One day you will decide and you'll never smoke again. As the old adage goes, 'don't give up giving up'

I entered a nicotine clinic (CAMH). They provided the patches for free. It took me like a couple of months and I quit. I even flew to New York City with my daughter to visit family and friends and had no urge to smoke. 6 months later I had a few problems. like my ceiling in my condo was leaking rain water. I was desperate and one thing led to another and I picked up a cigarret and started to smoke again. I am not sure if that program will take me again. They even said that it takes several tries to quit until it becomes permanent. I will try to quit again. I am smoking a lot less now. My ceiling was repaired. Actually it was more than one apt in the building with this problem. But I was the only one to formally complain to the condo board and led the fight for a water free bedroom and problem was resolved to my satisfaction but the smoking came back with a vengeance.

I went into a program in Toronto that gives you free patches. I was able to quit for 6 months. I am smoking again and it looks like I will have to go cold turkey. That was my first attempt to quit. I also have read that sometime it takes two or three attempts until you get it right. I will keep on trying until I get it right. It is such an insiduous habit, worse than drugs.

I only smoked lightly for a year or two. Still, it was hard to totally quit. I still bummed cigs when drinking in smoky bars for years (but that would be only 1 cig a week on average). Haven't even done that for decades now. No matter how you do it, do it! Not only is it unhealthy, but basically your money is supporting evil corporations.

Electronic cigarette and nicotine liquid. Started with the strongest concentration, and every few months reduced to the next one down. Meant I didn't inhale smoke, just nicotine, and within six months was nicotine free, and often forgetting the ecig when I was out or driving.

Pmabz Level 3 Mar 10, 2018

I was given patches and gum and both were completely useless and did nothing to curb my desire for a cigarette. But I gave up smoking anyway through sheer force of will but occasionally I will have a smoke. I will forever be one cigarette away from smoking a pack a day.

"It's not hard to quit - I've quit a thousand times" - Mark Twain
I'm catching to him.

GaryF Level 2 Mar 8, 2018

I made several feeble attempts to quit smoking, but stopped instantly without difficulty, due to terror. There was an advertisement on TV against smoking and an elderly gentleman was in tears imploring the viewers to give up, he was caughing and had a serious case of emphysema, and in the background was a doctor with a bucket full of black lungs which he lifted and wrung out for the viewers to think about. I have been free for about 60 years. That sure worked for me......

Cut back by time of day, not number of cigs. So no cigs before work, none until lunch, none until 2 PM, etc. I finally replaced my bedtime cigarette with an ecig, which I don't even use every day.

I might try that technique with my e-cig. I'm not particularly concerned about using it as the evidence so far suggests they're relatively safe (at least compared to real cigs), but it'd be good to crack my nicotine addiction after all these years.

I suggest trying to find an ecig that's similar to what you enjoy smoking. Find out how many mg of nicotine are in your current brand. Most of what's sold in stores is very low in nicotine content, so if you feel like you're sucking air, and it's not working, look online. I use Fling ecigs. They come in a variety of strengths and flavors, but do what works for you. I won't say that vaping is good for you because I honestly don't know, but it has to be better than inhaling tar. Also, you won't want it as often.

"I don't want a cigarette; I want to change my state."

"I don't want to want to change my state all the time; I want to be present in the present."

I saw what was really going on, and my priorities changed.

I love that! Saving to my pics

Wellbutrin/Bupropion. Worked brilliantly and I wasn't even trying to quit, but it took both the pleasure of smoking and the cravings away. Worth a try. It has worked for a lot of people.

Unfortunately I'm already on that, but thank you for your input. It may help someone else 🙂

You're welcome. Wish you the best with quitting! You can do it!

I quit once by chain smoking my last pack as a teenager and moving back home the next day. Never really made sense to spend my own money on it.

Later I did but only socially and as I went back to school to pursue a degree in the sciences I figured I should take the body of evidence that says it is bad for me and stopped.

Though even now I consider it to be a rare expression of absolute freedom and I may be inclined to smoke a cigerette at a party once every other year or so.

My personal story is worthwhile because honestly, if I can quit ANYONE can! I was what seemed to be hopelessly addicted. In addition, as a physics graduate student, I lived a high stress lifestyle.

I did "behavior modification" meaning that I found a cheap paperback book that explained a detailed behavior modification program and I did it (that was back in the early '80's so now it would be an internet site or something.)

The program took several months. I wasn't even allowed to quit during the program. I had to smoke to follow the program. Eventually, it had me smoking "cesation cigarrets" which were maintained the nicotine addiction but made you sick. The idea was simple. To associate negative things with smoking. The nicotine addiction was a trivial problem compared to my hatred of cigarrets by the time I was finally allowed to actually quit.

It worked! I have not smoked nor have I wanted to smoke since the '80's. I'm now sort of an anti-smoker activist.

Seriously, If I can quit (and right as I started graduate school) ANYONE can.

You're probably not going to believe me, but I read a book. And it only took a couple of hours, it was a quick read. And I quit for over two years. And I didn't struggle. And it didn't suck.

And when I fell off the wagon, I read it again. And I quit, and I didn't struggle, and it didn't suck. Three weeks in, as of today. And doing fine.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. That $17 book saved me thousands of dollars. I recommend it to anyone who wants to quit.

Beautiful! Keep it up!I too quit easily..... after a single one-on-one hypnosis session. Beautiful!

Read it several times, and it didn't work.

@Pmabz Sorry to hear that. You're the first I've heard of.

@Nottheonlyone the book was given to me by someone at work, for whom it also didn't work. It's a good read, though.

Chantix did it for me but after six months my MD wouldn't refill it. I found a authorized site online that you could get Chantix from so I stayed on it for one more year. Main reason is my ex still smoked quiting with her around was difficult.

It took a dozen tries but I did it.

I smoke 1 guilty pleasure smoke a day,,always outside on the porch. In bad weather, I don't bother having any.

I went to Canada and got acculaser. I went to Canada for it because back at that time they didn't do it here in the states. It's like acupuncture only with lasers instead of needles. I was very nervous and I loved smoking so I didn't know if it would work for me. However I put my last cigarette out at the door of their building went in and came out and never look back. I have never wanted a cigarette sense. I can drink and not smoke, be around smokers and still not even think about smoking. They do it in the States now. It's been 21 yrs for me

All of the above! Smoked off and on for the past 35-40 years. Over the years:

Tried Wellbutrin (Zyban). Worked well but developed uncomfortable side effect - dizziness.
Tried the patch. Eventually developed a sensitivity to the glue. Made me itchy and gave me a rash.
Finally, nicotine gum did the trick, along with a little willpower.
Bottom line: You have to WANT to quit, for yourself, not for someone else, and that will help you stick with whatever method you choose. It's been 4.5 years for me. And yes, I crave a cigarette occasionally...but I know better.

I switched to a pipe for about a year to stop inhaling the smoke but got enough nicotine to keep the craving at bay. Then I came down with the flu and it was easy to not smoking while getting over that. Then two months later when completely over the flu, I didn't miss the nicotine and just didn't pull the pipe out again..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.