Agnostic.com

8 4

QUESTION Majority of Britons see religious studies as unimportant - National Secular Society

RS was far behind the other traditional humanities: history gained the support of 84% of people and geography 83%. 'Religious education' was not included on the list.

The NSS's education campaigner, Alastair Lichten, said: "While there is value in learning about different worldviews and their influence in society, these findings should prompt questions about the hubris of those that overstate the importance of religion in society and wish to elevate its status."

zblaze 7 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only surprise is that someone wrote an article on it, most UK citizens are apatheists and have been for a long time. When I was at school back in the '70's, no-one was interested in Religious Eduction, not even the teachers, it was a complete waste of lesson time.

I'm not at all surprised, because religion and atheism really aren't a big deal here at all - I've been astounded by just how opposite the situation is in much of the USA, based on the experiences of various people on this site. Announce that you're deeply religious or avowedly atheist in the UK and the usual response is "that's nice, dear; did you see Coronation Street last night?"

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

My understanding is that the UK has a long tradition of teaching religion in public schools from a cultural standpoint -- something utterly unthinkable in the US. I think this is more good than bad, as it's important for children to have cultural literacy in things like how religion influences art and so forth. I will leave it to UK citizens to weigh in on the validity of this article's concerns but I think secular religious education is a good thing in principle at least.

Hooray Henry! Religious education such a bore and waste of space..

Sadly the requirement for daily religious assembly introduced in the 1944 Education Act has not been repealed. In my secondary school the head master was a "bible basher" who gave us the most boring sermons each assembly, enough to turn any youngsters off religion.

I have never understood why Americans are so dismissive of ideas that come from our friends in Europe given that so many of us are here becuase of our European ancestry.

@Gwendolyn2018 I know, but you would think after a few hundred years we would grow more than a little. Hell, I've managed to grow a little in one lifetime.

@Gwendolyn2018 He didn't mind giving up dancing?

Nothing to do with Darwin being born here ....honest !

Religion should really just be incorporated into historical studies instead of it's own subject. It really only belongs in history anyway.

I wouldn't mind that so long as it's split into two groups, factual and hypothetical history.

Exactly -- history, sociology, and related -- not its own topic.

I'm not suprised. I don't think most people in Britain are very religous and our education system seems to stress more vocational subjects.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.