Agnostic.com

32 8

Atheist that admire Churches and other religious architecture?

I love visiting old Churches and learning about their history (I also have a fondness for stained glass). 2 months ago I was in Ely, UK visiting the The Ely Cathedral and in Paris visiting Notre Dame I found both very fascinating anyone else share this passion?

• 61 votes
  • 4 votes
Roman 5 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most churches of any religion are architecture jewels.
I like sacred music like Gregorian chant or Bach's The Passion According to St. Mathew, but that doesn't make me a believer

Tetla Level 2 Mar 7, 2018

Yes. But has more to do with history and art than any specific religious interest. Religions and history go hand in hand, especially the immensely wealthy religions who built impressive buildings - absoutely state of the art for their time. I find it easy to seperate the two.

I love stained glass🙂 I went to a catholic school for a little bit. So we had mass. I would ignore the sermons most of the time and stare at the windows haha🙂 but yes, the buildings are beautiful! I don’t blame you at all!

Yes - religious ardour can result in extraordinary architecture, extraordinary art, and extraordinary music.

What a shame it can also result in extraordinary bigotted injustice and hatred.

Not really. I will way that churches to appear to improve the skyline. Buildings designed for he functionality of worship generally dont' interest me.

Nothing wrong with admiring all plastic arts.

Arts is one of the things we can learn from religion.
In this video, Alain de Botton highlights some of the things we can adopt from religion which are obviously lacking in the secular world.

obis Level 6 Mar 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.