Agnostic.com

5 0

Why do the very people we trust commit sin

A recent British television program exposes bad clergy in the church of England [christiantoday.com]
Why is it so widespread?

JohnMilbank 3 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Strange question to ask on this site. Most of us wouldn't trust a cleric of any variety. And 'sin' only has meaning within the context of religion

Who says we trust clergy? From my perspective they peddle bullshit and extort people for a living. No way I'd trust someone doing that.

It's so widespread because people suck. Especially people who peddle bullshit and extort people for a living, and aren't supposed to have sex. Forced celibacy, now there's an inhuman concept if I've ever seen one.

1of5 Level 8 May 2, 2019

who here trusts church folk? not many, and certainly not i. i would not call any of the people to whom you're referring "the very people we trust"!

also, what is sin? there is ethical and unethical behavior, and there is crime. sin is a religious concept. you won't find a lot of folks here thinking about sin.

as for why church people do bad things, the answer is simple: because they can.

g

Clergy = low IQ, power hungry, useless pedophiles.

zesty Level 7 May 1, 2019

Sin is a religious construct. All humans are capable of wrongdoing, being religious or having a belief in god doesn’t alter that. I believe though, that people who have certain proclivities, such as those who are drawn to paedophilia, find entering the clergy an easy way to access children. This applies to all religions, the C of E, R.C., and all the others. The fact that people believe that they are more honest and trustworthy because they are ordained by god, makes it all the easier for them to gain trust and therefore all the more reprehensible when they betray that trust.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:340125
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.