Agnostic.com

6 4

Religious and the non religious

I am fine with people having a faith if they are not harming anyone, pushing it on me, or doing anything really weird, or annoying me. I am also with folks not having a faith. Does anyone tire of the fights between the two parties? Can't we just get along? Have you been in any fights with people due to beliefs or lack there of?

Digerati 5 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Curiously enough, I've had more reasonable discussions with theists over my life than I have in the past several weeks with some of the atheists on this site, the latter of which I would categorize more as fights. (I'm agnostic, fyi.)

@bingst, @DangerDave, it seems so. Some people here think there is only one truth: theirs. I’m non-religious but it’s just a tiny little part of my indentity that I rarely think about unless I’m on this site, hehe, because religion was never influential in my life I guess. Thus I think, fundamentally, it’s not faith or lack of faith that make one person different from the other, it’s more the kindness, intelligence and humanity inside them.

I still let myself get fired up on occasion, but for the most part, I am done proselytizing Atheism. Someone pointed out my zealotry and, as it was someone whose opinions I valued, I took a look at myself. What i found was that I am doing the thing I hate most, after hypocrisy. Was pretty easy to tone it down once I realized continuing to try to force my (un)belief onto others was only slightly better than them trying to force me to believe. And I am pretty sure they believe just as strongly as I don't believe. Circle jerks aren't my thing.

However, that does not mean I think it is cool to let people shoe-horn their beliefs into the laws in the land I call home. I'll continue to try my best to see that there is NO place for religion in secular society aside from your own mind, home and the temple(s) in which a person chooses to worship. Keep it out of the stateroom, the boardroom and most importantly, the (public) classrooms or we'll continue to stagnate.

Orly Level 5 Nov 11, 2017

This is so cool. I'm glad you were able to recognize your own zealotry. I think that takes a certain kind of enlightenment. And I totally agree with your secular viewpoints.

When you have two parties that are diametrically opposed to each other, there inevitably will be fights here and there.
As has been mentioned if you don't like the way I live my life (and I'm not hurting anyone) you don't have to do the same as I do.

I haven't been in any fights but I will point out contradictions. I don't argue with die-hard believers. If their faith is helpful to them for comfort or to draw strength from, then I see no harm in it. Since I chose to move away from religion as a young teen no one has tried to force me back in.

Betty Level 8 Nov 11, 2017

As a fellow Australian, I have to agree with Lancer, that Australians are indeed pretty laid back, and so I also have never been in any kind of serious altercation with anyone over religion. Discussion, arguments, etc, but never fights.

I've never been in significant fights with religious people because in Australia everyone is so lay back that even if you insulted their religions to their faces they would just shrug it off. Except the Muslims. They are pretty easily triggered.

Also I don't understand why people like to associate themselves in an organisation that has blood on it's hands. Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. Many major religions have killed both soldiers and civilians. Armed and unarmed. Throughout history. Many Christians I've met know nothing about the crusades and the execution of 300 Muslim prisoners at the gates of Acre. But when told about it they immediately rejected the crusaders as Christians. The same cannot be said for terrorists and Muslims. They just say "if one believes they are a Muslim then they are one" and make no comment on he actions of their fellow followers of Islam.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.