Agnostic.com

7 0

Post Christians...do you still have dreams of church themes?

I was brought up in Christianity from the age of 3. Since realizing its fallacies and flipping to agnostic atheism I've had Christian based dreams. Things like end of days, some of the people (dead or alive), and the sexual abuse. Am I alone in this or are there others? Why am I having such dreams and why so often?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have the dreams but because of the 5 relgion classes I took at the Lutheran college where I got my first degree. I can still give many of the biblical versus and Lutheran doctrines.

So from what I've gathered from y'alls helpful answers, since the abuse is related to the church, that it's the reason why I'm having "end of days" type dreams plus all the other crap. That makes sense. Ty

Even though I was brought up Christian from as early as I can remember I never really believed in god. So I have never had any Christian dreams. And I’m glad they sound like nightmares to me. I’m sorry to hear you were sexually abused. I can’t imagine how horrible that must have been. I hope you bring that up with your counselor. I have many female friends that have been to counseling for sexual abuse and it seems to help them. I hope it works for you.

You need counseling for that sexual abuse. It is a traumatic event that takes a long time to get over. That could be the reason for the dreams, specially if the abuse is associated with a person that was religious or the church.

Yeah I'm in counseling for another issue, but I haven't broached that subject yet. Maybe that's what's bringing this all to a head. Thanks for your input.

No, but post sex I still have dreams about sex.

Helpful. I have dreams about being raped. Does that count? DA

@ashortbeauty I certainly hope not.

@Sticks48 then maybe read the full post question before responding. Js I have dreams about all of it.

No.

Why are you dreaming? Maybe you are anxious about something you've lost when you left the church? Do you have friends or family who are still Christians? And are they worried about your atheism?

I was brought up in a very religious Catholic family. Went to church every weekend and recited the 50-bead rosary every night as a family. I even lived with Franciscan brothers for some years during my high school. (They weren't the molesting types - thank goodness!)

And I can't remember one religious dream. You'd think I'd remember at least one - considering how ingrained Catholicism was in my life.

I was raised in a bubble. Everything was about the church. We attended Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Friday night, bible study. So yes I lost a whole "world" when I left there. Oddly enough I left over 10 years ago. So I'm not sure why these dreams keep coming now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.