Agnostic.com

5 6

LINK VB lawmaker 'stunned' by Northam veto of bill allowing murder charge for dealers after overdose - WAVY

I can hardly contain my excitement! Something totally right happening in America today. These little tiny state-by-state victories are so precious in today's godawful Republican/Christian zealoty climate.

SeaGreenEyez 9 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What if a person dies from eating too much refined sugar? Should the store owner who sold that sugar be charged with murder?

That's silly, sugar isn't a drug or even a restricted or prohibited substance.

@Mofo1953 sugar , caffiene , tabbacco , alchol all drugs just because they are legal doesnt change that

@Mofo1953 The principle is the same. No analogy is ever 100%.

@Simon1 doesn't change what? There is no way a prosecutor will charge a supermarket that sells sugar or coffee or cigarettes with murder. I've seen bartenders charged for manslaughter when they continue serving a drunk person who then dies in a car accident or causes the death of others, but to suggest that someone ODs with sugar or caffeine or nicotine and dies then a prosecutor will charge the store owner that sold them a kilo of sugar or a carton of cigarettes or a sack of coffee is going to get charged with murder is just silly, the analogy is bogus.

@Mofo1953 Of course it’s silly! The whole idea of making the comparison is to argue that it’s ridiculous to charge someone with murder because they sold something that caused death through mis-use.

Do you really think I’m proposing that grocers be charged with murder? Now it’s you being silly. Note that I got three upvotes. Most people understand analogies.

Can't see the article but judging by the headline sounds a bit daft the dealer is just supplying a product it's not his fault the user isn't being safe and taking the correct doseage . It's not as if he's forcing the person to take the drugs

Drug dealers are just supplying a product? It's not the drug dealers fault that the junkie isn't being safe by taking the correct dosage? Seems to me that it ain't the headline that sounds daft.

Someone that stood up for people, a slap in the face to TheoFascist...

This is just politics. Why do we need another law to go after a drug dealer when someone dies if the act of selling them is illegal to begin with???? If police can't get the dealer at the sales transaction, why legislators think this law will make it easier for police to get them after the fact? Is the person dead supposed to keep a receipt so the police can use it as evidence? This is just silly and legislators know their motivation is that it will look good in their resume.

You are so right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.