Agnostic.com

10 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cheerfulness may be voluntarily, optimistically living primarily outside of yourself...

Hmm...interesting way of looking at it.

@tnorman1236 "How may I continue to be a positive influence on others"...that's outward looking...and when I try...and when I see a hint of success...a tremendous "cheerfulness"...

I used to have a friend who said, "You can get cheerful or obedient, but not both at the same time."

Norman Vincent Peale on the merry-go-round. kind of creepy really.

I do think there is something to the saying "fake it until you make it"...I am not saying to deny your true feelings, but there are studies that have proven that your body chemistry changes when you smile, take yourself out of your sadness with a kind word or helping someone, etc.

I think sustained cheerfulness all the time is a bit annoying and unrealistic..interesting article

I think grief can tho. with all those pro mourners and stuff.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

No shit you cannot mandate cheerfulness

I don't think the great philosophers were known for their sense of humour.

I think I’ve learned more philosophy from great comedians than from great philosophers🙂

@Haemish1 Or politicians or teachers!

I noticed this while volunteering at two nursing homes:

Cheerful people make more friends. Everyone wants to be their roommate.

Positive people heal faster, and have fewer post-surgery complications than negative people. It's well-documented.

and cheerfulness, as long as it's authentic, is contagious! Who wants to hang out with Debbie Downer?

@MsDemeanour

Exactly.

But it's not something that can be forced. If it's natural, then it's good, if not, it doesn't accomplish anything.

just got posted by Victoria in G & H.

I saw that. Timing!

Oliver Cromwell would have pleased the ancient Greeks with his banning of any activity that encouraged cheerfulness!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.