Agnostic.com

7 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All governments are run by bureaucrats...otherwise known as civil servants. The EU has a Council of Ministers and a Parliament to which all member states send elected representatives....what exactly is so undemocratic about it? It needs some reforms, I do agree, most institutions need to be restructured over the passage of time, but we must never forget why the EU was created in the first place. It was to stop the narrow nationalist identities and rivalriies of the nation states of Europe boiling over into disputes and wars. The EU has brought together all member states for the common good, not to be rivals but partners, this has brought the longest period of peace to Europe in the entire history of the world. We must remember history and learn from it, or we just repeat it’s mistakes. Surely our collective memories cannot be so bad that we’ve forgotten two catastrophic world wars in Europe in the 20th century.

i try to avoid discussing US politics because it really is no concern of mine. unless of course it is about their foreign policy which usually causes mayhem around the world. North Americans should equally avoid discussing European politics because they know fuck all about it. ( I found it hard to be so polite)

I agree, can’t understand why some have such hatred for the EU, when they know hardly anything about it. The old expression “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” springs to mind.

Contrary to this opinion piece, the EU is in fact a very democratic institution, and the bureaucrats in Brussels ( the Civil Servants) only carry out the legislation which has been democratically proposed, debated and legislated for in Strasbourg. Each country has a veto on any proposed legislation, and the EU is possibly the most democratic union of countries anywhere, ever. It is the opposite of the narrow protectionistic and nationalistic tendencies which are becoming resurgent, that is why those who are promoting rampant nationalism hate the EU so much.

After the Brexit the EU will dissolve. Fortunately!

zesty Level 7 May 8, 2019

I doubt it very much, but can’t really understand why you believe it would be good if it did.

It will probably take years to eliminate the E.U. It might be salvaged if they were to become truly democratic, and if they reject their "New World Order" agenda.
Will the Euro be appropriated by Germany?

@zesty @PBuck0145
Why would EU dissolve?
EU is actually the sum of the governments, it is just a forum where the countries make agrements and agree to have common policies.
Actually EU gives so many rights to the members that if ONE country rejects something, it don't become a rule (yes it is not by majority, it is not imposed, it needs to be by consensus).
And all this representatives are nominated by each country.

And saying EU is not democratic is the same that saying US foreign police is not democratic because you did not elect the diplomats signing the agreements and making the talks

@Pedrohbds Well said. but you were a bit too kind on US foreign policy. it certainly has nothing to do with democracy. Secretary of State Pompeo is currently in London trying to bully the UK into joining the US in increasing sanctions on Iran.

@Moravian well, he was appointed by the elected president, he did not appear there out of nothing. If the president is bad, the diplomats will be a consequence.

@Pedrohbds In my opinion the EU is an outdated concept.

@zesty why what would be an up to date concept?

This is basically false.
All democracies are run by bureaucrats, and they have accountable to elected members.
The chief democratic institution is the EU Parliament. In the ordinary legislative procedure, the European Commission proposes legislation, which requires the joint approval of the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union to pass.
Other institutions; the council of ministers, the EU Council (who are the member states' heads of state), the EU President (elected by the EU Council.) all are accountable to the democratic process.

I’m tired of repeating this to the uneducated and uninformed on this site....most of whom live on the other side of the Atlantic....as if they would know anything about the EU!

@Marionville Trumpers.mostly reading Fox News..

That isn't news. Why do you think so many people, not only in Britain, wish to leave?

What baffles me is why so many want to remain subservient to the dictates of Brussels. These remainers are intentionally or unwittingly promoting the "New World Order".

@PBuck0145 Please explain what you mean by "New world order"

@Moravian Undemocratic world government controlled by self-appointed elites and plutocrats.

@PBuck0145 None of those apply to the EU. MEPs are elected and the presidents of the parliament,Council and commission are selected by the member states so they are certainly not self appointed. Plutocrats ?. I think you are confusing the EU with the US govt.

@Moravian Your question was about the "New World Order" which is being promoted by the E.U.
BTW, MEPs have no power to initiate legislation.

True .

No it’s not true...it is completely inaccurate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343810
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.