Agnostic.com

5 2

Convention advice

I'm going to the convention! This is my first one so I have several questions. Should I stay at the hotel the convention is at or stay somewhere else? Should I attend both dinners on Friday and Saturday? Should I do the Cards Against Humanity game? I should take a fancy outfit or two, right? Advice, suggestions, and pro tips appreciated. 🙂

Funnygir175 7 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We expect a full report! Based on my conference experiences: Attire will be all over the place. Jeans, t-shirts, business dress, etc. Be comfortable. Take a sweater. Rooms are always cold. I'd take a nice outfit. My son loves Cards Against Humanity. Do you have to buy your own deck? Stay at the convention hotel. My guess is the hotel bar will be the best place for after hours drinking and mingling. Unless it is cost prohibitive. Don't be afraid to say hi. Hopefully there are name tags and you can see where they are from. Good conversartion starters.

In the days of my mispent youth I did a LOT of Sci-Fi and Game conventions, hoping they relate:

My favorite convention memories are of the times I decided to afford staying at the conventions hotel. You may have to reserve your room early, as the convention might fill the hotel up! Note: you can stay elsewhere but it's nice to meet someone and talk with them for a while, stretch and realize that 'a while' has been HOURS and it's not late but EARLY and all you have to do is find an elevator to get to bed.

If this is your first time at this convention, and you don't have any external restaurants at the conventions city you want to try, I'd advise going to both dinners. Why? You will have a captive audience of (nearly) friends to associate with rather than trying to find someone to go off to a restaurant with, or going alone. Granted, if you are comfortable heading off on your own, OR you have amazing powers of mesmerizing people into joinging youy on a sojourn to a local restaurant, then we need to worry about you, not you worry about where you will eat. 🙂

If you don't play Cards Against Humanity, you are NOT one with humanity! This is compulsory, play, laugh, enjoy. Wine/beer/drink optional. However, if you "do" the game, expect people to take pictures and post them. 🙂 Note: DOING the game is decidedly in keeping with the Cards Against Humanity Theme so, by all means. 🙂

Be comfortable. If you genuinely like dressing up, then do so. If you don't, don't. That said, the dinners might be the time to turn up the dress a notch from the general gathering of the convention.

I am not going, this year, but if it follows other conventions, expect there to be a lot of tracks of things to do. Mostly I expect there to be panels talking on various subjects that are considered interesting to atheists/agnostics and some that are designed more for fun than function. There will likely (should be) an art room and a dealers room in which various stuffs can be purchased or your monies can be wrestled from your hands (pick your viewing angle and proceed). IF there is, do not fail to walk the dealers room, and art room, at least once. These rooms will usually have odd fare ranging in quality from "meh" to "amazing." You may well find something you feel you need to take home. I'd expect a lot of reading materials and the like.

Most importantly: have fun. 🙂

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Hang in with the convention as long as you like the people.
I think of you keep an open mind and decide to enjoy what they are putting on, you can appreciate it, and maybe make some friends..

I've never been to the particular convention you speak of, but I would say from previous experience at other conventions, stay in the hotel where the convention is, have fun and take an semi fancy outfit. Wear confortable shoes.

Atheist Convention? FFRF convention? Anyway, Have fun! Maybe someday I’ll do one of those.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.