Agnostic.com

5 4

The parable of the ATM

A theist went up to an ATM to check their bank account. Upon reaching the machine, they found out it was out of service. The theist rejoiced and walked away saying "I'm rich! I'm rich!"

Later, an atheist came upon the same ATM to check their bank account and upon reaching the machine and finding it out of service, rejoiced and walked away saying "I'm poor! I'm poor!"

Finally, an agnostic came upon that ATM machine and upon finding it was broken, said nothing, showed no emotion, and walked away in search of another one.

TheMiddleWay 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If it was written from a Christian perspective, and money is God, the Christian assumes that God has intervened, and is good. The Atheist is happy that there's no god. The assumption that the agnostic is looking for God, though, is a stretch.

@TheMiddleWay that does make sense. Thanks for the perspective.

I'm not sure how I feel about this joke. It's cute on the one hand, but most of the atheists I know don't do a lot of "rejoicing."

Why would the atheist say "I'm poor!"???
That makes no sense at all.

So, why wouldn't an atheist do what the agnostic did?

The parable I suppose is a theist sees the glass half full; an atheist sees the glass half empty; but an agnostic ignores the glass altogether.

No, I actually think the agnostic would spent a lot of time speculating that the existence of the glass is unknowable.

Sorry, I don't think much of the parable.

Being in the middle has some advantages.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.