Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Innovative Notre-Dame Concept Balances Past and Present

I like this quite a lot. I feel it should be mostly the Catholic Church that foots the bill, and all the billionaires who have stepped forward to fund the resoration still ignore the actual needs of people and the shameful environmental degradation taking place... but architecturally, this looks pretty awesome.

:-----:

"As the reconstruction concepts for Notre-Dame Cathedral continue to roll in, it’s clear that glass is the preferred material of most architects. This holds true with the design released by Miysis Studio, which combines classic and contemporary elements to create a new public space atop the cathedral. The Belgian visualization studio has proposed an elegant solution that would see the reconstruction of the 19th-century spire juxtaposed with a thoroughly modern glass roof.

This combination of past and present is a way to ease the public into the transformation of the space, as under this concept, the roofline and spire retain their historic shape. The glass roof would be constructed around a steel and timber frame, while the replica spire would use traditional materials. “We wanted to mix traditional wood and new materials to find the right balance between history and future,” shares Miysis Studio CEO Denis Stevens.

Similar to other concepts, the attic would be transformed into a public garden for visitors. Rather than an urban garden for cultivation, Miysis Studio envisions that space filled with lush trees planted throughout the center. Planting beds along the edges would increase the greenery while leaving pathways for visitors to stroll and contemplate the environment.

By respecting the original dimension and volume of the roof, Miysis Studio remains respectful to the Notre-Dame that most people know and love. This may make it a design that is easier for the public to accept, as opposed to some of the more radical designs that have been proposed since French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced that a competition would be held to replace Notre-Dame’s spire.

“We think restoring Notre-Dame to its initial state would be trying to erase the fire from the history of the cathedral,” explained Stevens. “We also wouldn’t get the actual historical wood frame back, just a copy of it. We think there is a way to be respectful and a little bit creative at the same time.”"

WilliamCharles 8 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Forget all the BS. Let the Catholic Church first compensate the victims of pedophile priests!

zesty Level 7 May 13, 2019

I must admit I would like them to use the best quality faux replacement materials for the destroyed parts of the cathedral rather than change the structure.

I think the design impressively marks a chapter in the cathedral's history, though as long as they pay for it themselves, they can do what they want.

I haven't seen the design so I can't comment on it. It certainly would be a new chapter and change is part of life so it is probably the conservative in me that wants to freeze the original beauty of the cathedral in time.

I'll admit, I liked the idea of rebuilding the Twin Towers after 9/11. The so-called Freedom Tower represents a lot of what is wrong with America to me.

@brentan

The link has extensive and detailed renditions for you to look at.

@WilliamCharles no, first pay the victims of pedophile catholics!

How about replacing the original anal parts of raped children? Maybe a much better way to spend Catholic money!

@zesty

They get away with it legally because each parish is considered an independent and separate entity, though it seems RICO statutes could be employeed.

@WilliamCharles I took a look. That's quite nice, to be fair.

@brentan

I thought so too. To update the design to such an extent never even occured to me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:346138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.