Agnostic.com

3 7

Are you, a family member or friend, blind, dyxlexic or have some other "print disability? In the U.S. you will likely qualify for access to teh adio boks in National Library Services (NLS). People who qualify can download unabridged audiobooks for free. This is a servie through the Library of Congress. For info on eligibiity check out [loc.gov] Forward the link to anyoen you know who may be eligible. Reading is for everyone, includign those for whom print is a difficult medium.

For persons in college, there is The learning Ally, which records textbooks, classic novels and literature. Theri service was once free, but republicans cut their grants and now they charge for their services.

Both NLS and learning Ally have apps for smartphones which lets you download books onto your phone to listen to them. (The NLS app is called "BARD" ).

To use either service or the apps, you have to show documentation to show you qualify for their programs

snytiger6 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks, I am Legally blind/low vision and received audio text books in college, but novels etc are pricey. Imma gonna check this out.

Candy Level 4 Mar 9, 2018

Yeah, back in college I got textbooks from Recordings for the Lind and Dyslexic (RFB&D), and they have since changed their name to The Learning Ally. Due to republicans makgin cut back to government grants and programs, the textbook Lerning Ally is no longer free, as it was when it was RFB&D, however, all clients who started with them when they were free got grandfathered in and only newere clients have to pay for the services.

Learning Ally does carry soem novels which are considered "classics" or "literature".

Anyway, my counselor in college (disabilities couselor) signed me up for both services, as I was (and still am) legally blind.

There are phone apps for both services, whcih allow you to download books to your phone to listen to them.

Anyway, I think I'll update the original post with the other services and phone apps into.

Cool. I have "dyslexia," but have no problem reading, since I speed read. In my case, I count dyslexia as difficulty in communicating properly between the two hemispheres of my brain. For instance, I unknowingly reverse numbers, reverse word or letter sequences, or misremember information, have trouble remembering names, faces, or even recognizing items I'm hunting for in my purse. Taking derris scandens seems to correct this problem, however.

Thanks for this!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.