Agnostic.com

8 9

In economic terms, Alabama was already a terrible place for women.

On NPR today, I listened to a story about how Birmingham, Alabama is advertising itself as a great alternative to Silicon Valley, California for tech workers.

"The quality of life in Birmingham is excellent, much better than Silicon Valley!" the male Birmingham promoter said.

"Quality of life is excellent for whom?" I thought, thinking about the racism, low pay and poverty in Alabama. Certainly not for black people and women.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The "quality of life is excellent" in this case mostly means the cost of living is low. Low wages and low taxes (because state services are minimal) have a lot to do with that. Yeah, great if you're white, conservative and affluent.

I keep hoping the pendulum is swinging, and this will further propel it.

It's no Mississippi, that's for sure. 🙂

All women in that state should start not having sex. Being property carries with it responsibilitys that have to be upheld. Really I have no idea what these idiots are doing, going back to the 12th Century will not work.

I feel sorry for progressive modern thinking people in the state of Alabama, for surely there are such people, as I have watched interviews and such with them. It must be hard for them in a state run by regressives.

You might disagree with our Alabama legislators about abortion—I certainly do. That’s no reason however to throw mud and demonize the entire state. We might be a few percentage points below the national average in some areas but I believe that in race relations Alabama comes out ahead.

I just googled “racism in Washington State”, and boy did I get an eyeful of hits—page after page of racism articles. Then I googled “racism in Alabama” and I got this interesting analysis about southern racism:

[theroot.com]

If you want to discuss the abortion issue and how it is related to religious dogma, then I am on board and we probably agree. But if all you want to do is cast stones and slander all of us Alabamians, then count me out.

@WilliamFleming

I gather you didn't bother to read the HuffPost article I included. I looked up the most racist states in the U.S. Alabama is #2, after Mississippi.

I realize there are progressive people in Alabama and in the South. Thank goodness.

Western Washington is more liberal, well educated and Democrat than Eastern WA. And Western Washington has the largest population by far.

For that reason, we have a Democrat governor, Jay Inslee, and two Democratic U.S. Senator, Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell.

The good news: in the 2018 Midterm elections, 46% of voters voted Democrat in Chelan and Douglas counties, where I live.

This enrages Eastern WA Republicans. For 40 years, blustering Eastern WA Republicans have been pushing for a separate state; they would call Eastern Washington "Liberty." To no avail.

The idiots don't realize Western WA builds their roads and universities, and funds their schools.

Sadly, there is racism across America. It's much worse in the South.

[thetoptens.com]

@LiterateHiker I did read the entire article and I saw nothing like what you say, however no doubt a person could find articles slamming the South if they wanted to. You can also find numerous articles, based on professionally conducted surveys that show the South to be no worse than the rest of the country, and that show it to be better in race relations. Did you read the link I provided?

I didn’t read those articles that came up about Washington racism, but I did note the the word “Seattle” was visible in many of the titles. I don’t think you can slither away by claiming that it’s only those East Washington folks who are racist.

IMO we are being childish by this exchange. “Your State is more racist than my state” is not going to do one thing to help people get along.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

—Martin Luther King, Jr.

@WilliamFleming

Calm down. I am not saying, "My state is better than your state." There are hate groups in Western Washington, too.

Saying I can "slither away" like a snake is mean.

I commend you for being liberal and progressive (like me). I wrote:

"Sadly, there is racism across America."

I love Washington State because of the spectacular mountains where I love to hike.

@WilliamFleming

And yes, I read the article you attached.

@LiterateHiker Washington is a very beautiful state full of great people. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis once and more recently lodged at the VA hospital in Seattle. What amazed me was how courteous and yielding the drivers are to bicyclists. I had never experienced that anywhere else.

@WilliamFleming

Thank you.

@WilliamFleming , she said nothing remotely childish. She responded to you as you did to her and then you had to be pissy. Any point you might have had evaporated at that moment.

@heymoe2001 I said that WE were having a childish conversation. It is kindergarten stuff to argue over who’s state is more racist. That time and energy should go towards making things better.

She upvoted me so maybe you are interpreting it the wrong way. Have a nice day.

I may be biased, but I would never voluntarily live south of the Mason Dixon line ever again.

@HippieChick58

I could never live in the South.

At my sister's wedding in Georgia, I never saw so many backwards, ignorant, racist, sexist, hard-drinking people... and proud of it.

@LiterateHiker I live in the south (Texas). 80% voted for Trump in the county where I live. Not all are ignorant, racist, sexist and hard-drinking. There's a lot of meth around here also. There are some good people here. I own my house, it's where I'm from. I had my first memories here. I'm staying and fighting the good fight. I'm going to live my life and do what I can do. If I see something, I'm going to say something.

@david75090

Hooray for liberal cities across the South! Atlanta springs to mind.

"Are you as offended by that Confederate flag as I am?" I asked a black waite in Georgia. A huge Confederate flag covered the restaurant wall.

"The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism, plain and simple," the waiter replied.

@LiterateHiker Austin would be one of those cities and has been since the 70's. Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, El Paso, and the Rio Grande Valley have gone blue most recently. It appears Texas will be purple soon.

@LiterateHiker I lived in Atlanta for nearly 20 years...I feel very bad for all of the people I know there who are appalled by the recent law on abortions...many would leave the state if they could...unfortunately, many have also taken the view that the law does not affect them (beyond child bearing age...)...that saddens me even more as they have not looked at the future implications of what this means for the state...I think every state has the same racism and crap against women...just in different levels of obviousness...in some states, it is just more subtle...in Southern states, it is more in your face...PA is just the same...Philly and Pittsburgh on either side of the state surrounds "Alabama" in the middle...

@david75090 Good on ya. It gets lonely when you are one of a few. My experiences long ago in Southeast Missouri were enough.

Can anti feminist attitudes like rape, incest, physical abuse, a long with pedophilia not be recognized by these overtly religious dogma lovers?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347390
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.