Agnostic.com

11 8

LINK This Fishing Wire Encircling Manhattan is Religious Superstition Run Amok | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

I had never heard of this... Orthodox Jews under Jewish law, on the Sabbath (Friday night to Saturday night), are not suppose to carry any of their possessions between private domains and public domains. They can’t carry things from inside their houses to outside of them.

In New York they've come up with a unique way around this... By putting up poles across the city then string and fishing wire to create something called an eruv...

This is one of the more bizarre religion related things I've ever heard of!

DGJ0114 7 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let’s cut it and see what happens.
Break the circle

They send someone out to tie more fishing line before the sun goes down. As the article reads, its a lot of fucking work to get around the stupid rules.

This reminds me of the story my mother tells me about my father's father. He was religious and went to church and followed all the "rules", and then one day after decades and decades and maybe even centuries of not eating meat on Fridays, the Catholic church suspended that rule for whatever time they suspended it. This is a vague memory and I don't know much about religious rules, but when my grandfather heard this nonsense, he was angry. He was confused as to how they can make it such a holy rule one day and not another time. If it's supposed to be the word of "God" then it's final and not for man to change. This sent him over the religious edge and he never looked back and he abandoned religion. He was an Agnostic after that until the day he died.

They also do that in some neighborhoods in Montreal.

Genius !!! how to smuggle drugs and contraband around the city right under the policees noses and claim it's a religious thing !!!

Why can't these followers figure out you have a room full of men sitting around laughing and trying to figure out what silly thing they can come up with to get them to do.

They do this in cities all over the country. It is like an imaginary city wall.

Oh, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

Just like with the Muslims, insane "ideas" like this must be the result of excessive inbreeding. Many years ago I was reading something about how in India I think it was, they had some kind of weird custom to place some of their food on the table near the dinner plate, and this was to be some kind of deterrent to keep certain vermin off of one's plate by giving them an alternative place to dine! Um, what the heck is wrong with having a home clean enough where the bugs don't come around? They're probably feeding off of the gunky residue on the table from what was left for them for just that purpose, to provide them with a meal!! SMH.

Randy

My daughter is required by her airline to tell the orthodox Jews on certain flights if she is on her period. Her one friend "joked" she is "always" on her's.

That's ridiculous!

I would always be on mine too if i worked there. 😂😂

Nothing surprises me any longer. The most important remark in the report imo is that children are possessions.
Isn't that slavery?
Jews are allowed to practice slavery in America?
One very fucked up country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347426
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.