Agnostic.com

1 2

Have you had a Near Death Experience?

I've seen estimates that as much as 5% of the population has had some kind of NDE, though I suspect that's kind of high. And you know some reports have to be bogus when they come from delusional people or attention-seekers, so one has to maintain a certain level of skepticism that any one of them could be a fabrication. But what is validating across reports of most NDEs is when they share common features, like traveling from an OBO into the Tunnel and then the Light etc. Anyway I'm an NDE survivor myself and would like to talk to others here who've been there too. If it's only 1% of the population that should still be a pretty big number on agnostic.com, though I don't know what it would be. [Does anyone know what the active and total member numbers are here?]

• 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
NDEer 3 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Had 3 times I faced death-no tunnels, no lights. First was getting hit by a tractor trailer in Boston-taken out of car with jaws of death in the bus lane. Second was two years later with AML diagnosis-worst leukemia there is(Susan Butcher and Mary Travers died from it).Entered hospital October 7, 2012 and was in and out till bone marrow transplant in 2013. Under so much medication I had some strong visions that were almost like tripping on acid. Hard to decipher if saw tunnel or white light. In 2014 had a blood clot in my lung and had heart failure. Again medication is so heavy. Spent 3 months in rehab in a nursing home. Honestly feel something happened to my body each occurence but not 100% sure they were NDE.

You sound like a survivor. Don't know how I know that 😉

Can't vote on this one because none of the answers apply. Looks like the way the answers are structured, I'm expected to be credulous about NDE claims / significance or I'm an idiot.

My answer would be, no I haven't had one, know about them, have examined the evidence and found it wanting as evidence for an afterlife. They are NEAR death experiences, and so convey no info about death anyway. I have rational reasons for that conclusion. I've examine the claims, the science that's been done (they HAVE been studied, even double blind, and results are, at best, when interpreted by people who hope they will prove something, "inconclusive" ).

As to your experiences, I don't think even an NDE proponent would claim they qualify as an NDE. All sorts of weird things happen on drugs / painkillers / chemo, they are all expected side effects of same. My wife's mother, who died of Hodgkin's when my wife was 9, had all sorts of weird symptoms too, which in other circumstances would probably qualify as bipolar with psychotic episodes, but were probably just a combination of meds and physical deterioration (this was the era before anyone was ever cured of Hodgskin's).

My current wife and I are both widowed and used to leave near Chicago, the home base of the guy who invented "induced near death communications". He claims to be able to induce a state in 80% of people who come to him, where they have realistic hallucinations of departed loved ones, and obtain closure thereby. It is sort of a reverse NDE. We thought, what the heck, why not? And went to see him. He worked on both of us for about an hour and got absolutely no result. I guess we belong to the incredulous 20%.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34942
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.