Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Democratic Elite Could Care Less About the Life of the Party

"Trump widened the Democrats’ ideological playing field by humiliating its establishment with his victory in 2016, when it sold the candidacy of Hillary Clinton to its base by touting her supposed electability. More importantly, Trump has transformed the party by convincing its progressive base that there is no future for centrist politics in a country whose middle class is shrinking and whose working class is being pauperized.

What is important to understand is that the current contradictions between both sets of party leaderships and their voters is not as much about issues and ideology as it is about who has won and who has lost the economic and cultural struggles of the past 40 years. This divide is the most revealing fact of American life in our era.

Despite the vehemence of the fight between the elites of both parties, they have a lot more in common with each other than they would ever care to admit to their respective political bases. Life for the political elites on all levels has been very good and is getting better. Their children go to the same private schools and rarely serve in the endless wars their parents keep extending, while the political elites graduate from public office and join law firms and lobbying shops that make them millions."

WilliamCharles 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is what I have been saying ever since the DLC moved the Dems permanently to the right, that the Dem leaders really don't care about winning prez elections or getting control of congress, because they and their kids will still do great financially and careerwise while enjoying a very high standard of living and be wealthy. Too bad for the peons who make up their base and are big enough chumps to think the Dem leaders actually care about the middle class and working class. I wised up and quit being a sap who bought their act as soon as I saw Bill Clinton in action as prez and the way he sold out the base as well as the poor. That is also why I have hated both of the Clintons actually more than the Repubs ever since, since they are actually bigger liars and traitors to their base than the Repubs, at least in my book. The Repubs are actually more honest about how they are going to rape the middle and working class, as well as the poor. The Dems lie as well, but sometimes use some lubricant when they go ahead and screw those classes.

If, as the article says, the Dem leaders and establishment back an independent centrist candidate (probably Bloomberg or someone like him) against their own party's nominee, should it be, say, Bernie, then the voters will finally see the plain truth of how corrupt and phony the Dems are at the federal level and their party will be ruined for good. Which might be a good thing if it resulted in an actual progressive party finally replacing it as a major party. My guess is, tho, that instead of backing an independent candidate, the Dem leaders and establishment would just quietly sandbag their own nominee and support the Repub candidate behind the scenes. It would be much like a replay of 1972 when the Dems nominated McGovern and then sandbagged him, helping Nixon win.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350342
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.