Agnostic.com

2 0

What really determines our perception?

THOTH 4 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a battle I'm having with my son. He is 10. He seems very reliant on his own ego. Way more than I'm comfortable with. This 'ego' perspective deems himself to be over important while he downplays other's perspectives. Everyone is 'out to get him'. Our perception seems to be ruled more by who we think we are, rather than from observable 'facts'.

You sound like a good father....where do you think he is getting ego nourishment?
We must learn somewhere....
perhaps it is a good time to introduce meditation?
When we don#t think we can perceive the SELF....not the I

His mother. Absolutely no blame of mine.

Perceptions are made up of a series of variables. Of the most salient ones are values, beliefs, religion, past experiences, significant emotional events, biases, and culture (just to name a few). We can "perceive" an action or event in one way and after having lived it more than once our "perception" of similar events or actions could be the total opposite of our initial perception. Nonetheless, we must keep in mind that perceptions are realities in the minds of the perceivers. Furthermore, since good and bad or right and wrong are not universal, we should tread lightly when attempting to understand or dispel anyone's perceptions.

No idea what you are trying to say...so many words and....no sense...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.