Agnostic.com

10 5

Traffic Jam Near the Summit of Mt. Everest

Three more climbers died on Mt. Everest. Many teams lined up for hours in the death zone.

Nepal needs to do a lottery system to limit the number of climbers on Mt. Everest.

“There’s a long queue during the summertime as there’s a limited window to climb — a lot of people tried to summit yesterday and day before," Poudel said, using a British word for line.

“Before you reach the summit you have to wait and every minute counts at the height,” she explained, but cautioned that she could not say if waiting there had caused Bagwan’s death.

“You’ve been walking since 8 a.m. the day before without eating or a proper rest and exposed to that temperature there’s a high risk of being frostbitten and hypothermia,” she added.

Camp 4 is the last pit-stop ahead of what is commonly referred to as the death zone before the summit.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been to base camp and up Kalapathar, but I had no desire to go any further. "To boldly go where everyone else has already been". Now that does not have the same ring to it. I guess some climbing people have a bucket list that they have to check off. If I knew that almost 1 in 8 dies doing a certain activity, would I do it? Hell no! Life is about so much more.

What is the point any more!

Anyone with enough money and partially insane can now go to summit Everest!

It is no longer a status act to die for!

Like walking into a mined field with a map that is not precise!

""“Before you reach the summit you have to wait and every minute counts at the height,” she explained, but cautioned that she could not say if waiting there had caused Bagwan’s death." Of course it caused his death. The "death zone" is the altitude where the human body begins to die. A human can only stay in it so long before they die. He was way too old to be in the zone. As much as I like the documentaries on climbing Everest, I consider all those who do to be stupid shits to risk their lives for no material gain. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. They do it for the "glory", what ever the hell that is.

Yes the Nepalese government needs to do something about it and all the rubbish that is there too.

The unfortuneate risks for the egos bragging rights ,It has been climbed ,leave it alone and what others say clean up the garbage and get it back to pristine,,unfortunealy alot of locals die climbing assisting also plus it is a major income for the locals and goverment..Let them go as far as base camp for the experince of being there and they back down

This really destroys the sympathy for waiting in line at the DMV.

In my opinion, Nepal should close Everest, and K-2, to ALL climbers.
Stop selling permits and discontinue the business of climbing up there.

Clean up the garbage that has been accumulating, and quit the profiting from
death.

K-2 is on the border of Pakistan and China. It is not in Nepal.

What else do the Nepalese have to sell? They are an impoverished country that counts on climbers for the income.

@GeorgeRocheleau, Thank you for the correction.

@dahermit Oh, that makes it "okay"? What did they do BEFORE the climbers showed up? That is not an adequate argument.

@GeorgeRocheleau, @KKGator

The most popular approach to climb Mt. Everest is in Nepal.

[nepalsanctuarytreks.com]

@LiterateHiker George was correcting me regarding the location of K-2.

@LiterateHiker Sure Everest straddles the border of Nepal and China in the Himalayas. K-2 is in the Karakoram. If they didn't guide climbers, they would probably just mine the mountains.

@KKGator What did they do before there were climbers? Like all impoverished primative people, they led bleak lives as herders, with a very high postpartum death rate...no insurance, no health care, no modernization. YOU would not want to live in such conditions.
What makes it "o.k.", is that it is not yours and you have no say in it.

Fine, let them all die then. Makes no nevermind to me.

"Did you notice we saw no one else on the trail today?" I asked Karen. "Perfect! I love the peace and quiet."

Without other hikers, we hear birdsong, the rustle of small animals, chattering of squirrels and woodpeckers hammering. And get the best spot for lunch.

Photos:

1. Karen swimming in Heather Lake. Too cold for me!

2. Sheepishly getting dressed at Lake Colchuck, after drying my feet on the back of my shirt.

3. Scenic lunch spot while climbing Mission Peak.

It is so wonderful being outdoors and in the wilderness areas to enjoy nature.

I have always enjoyed hiking to the top of the highest mtns. where I am camping, as long as I can do it on a trail with switchbacks. I have never had a desire to scale mtns. as climber do.

It's an obsession for some to have climbed to the peak, but that's no excuse for putting other people's lives in danger as they try to rescue failures.
Maybe they should be told to climb different peaks, using a lottery/experience/adeptness system.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.