Agnostic.com

10 4

QUESTION What Is a Scientific Theory? | Definition of Theory

Every religious person I have ever talked to has always got this wrong; they have no idea what the difference is between the layman's term "Theory" and the scientist's term "Theory" . . . . And there is a huge enough difference between the two definitions to effect the idea of what proof of a theory is based upon in a big way.

Archeus_Lore 7 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A Scientific Theory is a Model that is testible, repeatable and continues to explain all the FACTS! Evolution is a FACT, Evolution by natural selection is the Theory. When they use the word theory, what they mean to say is hypothesis, conjecture or opinion which has limited or no explanatory power. They have a "Theory" that "Jesus Lived, was crucified,died, was buried and rose again on the third day, yet they don't have one verifiable Fact about is life, deeds, acts while he was alive. Talk about a "Theory" that explains nothing.

One of the biggest problems with scientific theories lately is that theists have used the "Big Bang theory" as "proof of God".

There are two words with near-opposite alternate definitions that are problematic in discussion with theists.

Theory: (colloquial) my speculative pet idea that I'm just throwing out there

Theory: (scientific) an explanatory framework that represents the highest level of proven fact based on scientific observation and verification

Faith: (colloquial) trust based on experience

Faith: (religious) belief in asserted / claimed truth without a requirement of evidence or subtantiation -- and often, without the POSSIBILITY of substantiation, given that religious faith is generally about un-falsifiable propositions.

Biblical literlists are always tring to pull DOWN the Theory of Evolution by falsely equating it to the coloquial definition of "theory" and they are always trying to pull UP religious faith by falsely equating it with experience-validated trust.

Now ... does each and every Christian apologist consciously lie for Jesus? I wouldn't assert that. I think these false equivalencies are just very easy to see as valid because they need them to be valid. But the minute I confront them with the correct meanings / definitions and they ignore that and insist on their alternate definitions anyway, then they no longer have any benefit of the doubt from me.

I tend to get the feeling that they refuse to understand the differences; seeing as it wouldn't got their agenda.

This needs to be explained in schools, in all countries, as soon as a child starts learning about science, and the school should then adhere to a strict policy of using the term 'theory' only when referring to a scientific theory, and using 'hypothesis' for anything that a layperson would term a theory.

This needs to be explained in ALL schools, in ALL countries, as soon as a child starts learning about science, and the school should then adhere to a strict policy of using the term 'theory' only when referring to a scientific theory, and using 'hypothesis' for anything that a layperson would term a theory.

This should solve the problem within a generation.

If we can also get the media to do likewise it would help. Perhaps restrict the hiring of science commentators to include only science graduates for example, I.e. someone who will know what they are talking about.

Perhaps then people would stop listening to / voting for science deniers. Having heads of state that do not believe in evolution, vaccines or climate change, but DO believe the world is only 6000 years old is a scary prospect.

Nomad Level 6 Mar 11, 2018

A Theory....... any explaination postulating that an Idea or asumption has a high degree of possibility to fit all the known facts of a particular query.......... The best explaination to date, until a stage is reached where proof prevails, whereapon the theory is abandond.........An idea to explain.......until something is proven beyond doubt.

I have just thought of a good example......Alfred Wegener in 1912 believed that the worlds landmasses all once fitted together like a puzzle as if they were previously one large continent and have since millions of years have passed,drifted apart to what we have today, Scientists thought this theory was a great joke, but his theory was finally accepted. which explained earthquakes, mountain ranges, and fissures between plates allowing lava to flow and mountains to appear,His theory turned into fact.

Jesus is a theory. If we found proof of him and anyone could verify it's veracity, then he'd be a scientific theory. Te he he

No, Jesus is an unscientific hypothesis (due to being unfalsifiable, due to being outside of nature where, conveniently, he can't be examined). That's another distinction: there are scientific theories, there are scientifically valid hypotheses, and unscientific hypotheses.

@mordant A theory is simply a set of ideas used with the intention to explain something. Being unfalsifiable or untestable only prevents it's ability to be a scientific theory.

I think not understanding science is a plus if you're a christian and a requirement if you're a creationist.

I've even heard christians referring to the story of how god made Eve and say that's why men have one less rib than women. How hard can it be to research that bit of insight?

JimG Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

@Bernardo Well that is a possible explanation and it's true that the OT is somewhat ... fluid ... with its use of time designators. There are for example people who subscribe to "theistic evolution", and say that the ToE is correct, but god uses or guides evolution to his creative ends. In connection with this, they suggest that the six days of the creation legend are six ages or eons of time (although this is no help at all, as a naturalistic process of evolution can't have light or day and night before there's even a sun or moon, etc). Anyway ... I would say you're assuming too much except that your explanation is as good as any when it comes to a book of fabulist myths.

A scientific theory provides a model of analysis, or paradigm, from which to analyze, interpret, test and understand empirical data. Contrary to common misunderstanding, a scientific theory can never become a fact. It can only be replaced by another scientific theory that provides a better explanation of the facts it encompasses.

Just for the record, Democritus' theory of atoms is now a fact. There is a smallest discrete thing that can be iron or antimony or whatever. The original reasoning was completely wrong, of course, but the proposition is true. Same for the Theory of Continental Drift.

Yeah...
And it's the ones that will argue their point of it being "just a theory" that I try my best to not lose my temper with and tear them apart with knowledge bombs. The reason why is because they usually play the victim card.

(No joke: I've had one call me an angry atheist and that I was attacking him because of his beliefs. No, I attacked because of the stupid shit he was saying like evolution was a lie, gravity was a theory, etc)

Yes, I do not "believe" in the Theory of Evolution, but rather I accept it as a valid scientific theory, (In fact, there have been many theories of evolution.) When someone asks me if I believe in evolution, I like to ask them if they believe in gravity or electromagnetism, since they are, after all, only theories.

I've tested the theory of gravity many times, and it's a pretty solid theory. The ground can be pretty solid too.

Just curious... what did this person have against gravity?

@andygee I think he was trying to say that science is wrong and god is the key to everything...
I think that's what his point was.
In all honesty... I have no clue.

But the whole thing about gravity is an argue point for Flat Earthers.
Which now makes me think that he probably believes in that flat earth nonsense as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35180
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.