Agnostic.com

3 2

Have you ever noticed that most people have some sort of religion

Even if it has nothing to do with believing in a god?... Think about it practically from an outsiders view and what is religion?... Mostly it is absolute and unquestioning belief in something even when evidence says it is full of shit... Some people are anti-vaxxers and even though their reasoning has no basis in fact they cling to their fictional belief even when faced with hard evidence they are wrong... Atheists who are stanch Republicans religiously believe that their support of far right-wing Christians turning the country into a theocracy works for them... Has anyone had experience with someone like this?...

Lizard_of_Ahaz 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m surrounded by new-age hippie crystal worshipers … behaving as if they’re soooo advanced over ‘conventional religion’ 😉 It comes close to making me puke hearing yet another one affirm that, ‘they’re not religious,’ ‘but they do believe in a god.’

My take (the generation following the hippies) is, they’re not as individualistic, innovative or free of conventional society as they’d like to think.. In fact, they often appear weak, not only due to their age, but their apparent need to be surrounded by ‘their own kind,’ just as a conventional small-minded religionist is.

Varn Level 8 May 25, 2019

I would define a religion as having something to do with a god. The rest is just irrational and ignorant beliefs.

Do you have faith in your assumption or do you have evidence?...

@Lizard_of_Ahaz which assumption?

@CeliaVL That "faith" in something you believe requires a "god"... Many people believe shit that they have no proof is right or exists yet if shown proof they are wrong they deny the evidence in favor of that warm and fuzzy feeling inside their religion gives them... Look at any conspiracy theory say like the 9-11 ones that the building was demolished with explosives... The "proof many of them offer is a video by Edward Current the comedian. He dubbed in random "explosions" in that video and even had a flying saucer in the smoke all done with Adobe Aftereffects... Yet even showing them the video where he explains what he did and why they deny the facts and claim it is a "different video" yet the flying saucer is still cruising over the tower....
And don't get me started on Flat Earthers...

Well... Most humans are idiots...

Brother you are preaching to the choir...

@Lizard_of_Ahaz I'd only consider a very small (although pretty vocal) percentage of people on this site are idiots though.

@snytiger6 It is called "Dunning- Kruger effect" and I don't think any demographic is immune to the effect....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.