Agnostic.com

6 0

What would you do if your workplace threatened to withhold wages from you?

Last night I got a call from the store director of the place I have recently begun working at. Because I am new I was confused about the schedule and discovered that I was scheduled to work today. I told him I was unable to work today but he continued to press the issue. Finally he said that when people are scheduled to work on holiday weekends and they don't show up for their shift, they aren't paid for the shift they worked before that, meaning that if I didn't show up, I wouldn't be paid for the work I did yesterday.

I still told him I couldn't work and asked him to make an exception. He sort of left me hanging on that point but implied that an exception would be made. The whole thing left me feeling highly emotional until I realized that the threat he had made was illegal. I also checked through what handbooks I could find for the store and I can't find that policy.

I'm feeling like I need to confront him but I want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable about this. What would you do if your boss threatened to not pay you for hours you had already worked? Would you continue to work for him?

UpsideDownAgain 7 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ok here's what I would do I would wait until your pay period to make sure that he followed through on his threat. If he did then I would burn the place down with him in it just to give him a taste of what hell is like. lol...

There is some suspicious activity going on. I would not work for someone like that. If it is causing you high, unnecessary emotional distress, this is not a place for you to be working. Submit your two weeks notice and find somewhere where they respect you and your time. Plus, that is illegal. Whatever hours you worked (past tense), you MUST get paid. I would also report them to the BBB. Know your rights as an employee. That could be a lawsuit. They tried to do that to my husband, he reported them to HR and they paid him for more than what he asked for.

I'm self-employed will never be an issue with me

If you threaten yourself with not paying yourself I'd have to say that you have bigger problems and are in need counseling. Haha...

Thanks so much for your responses. I ran it by some other friends who were telling me to just let it go but that felt really frustrating.

Check into your rights as an employee under the law, then thank the guy for making you understand your rights and ask him if he'd like to know them, too - since he doesn't seem too.

1of5 Level 8 May 25, 2019

OK, so does this asshole make out the checks? You might need another new job.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:351944
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.