Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Senator Schumer’s “divine” mission to serve Israel – Redress Information & Analysis

"Back on 31 March 2019 I wrote an essay entitled “God and US foreign policy”. The central figure in that essay was Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Pompeo is a Christian fundamentalist who believes that God is at work when it comes to both sustaining Israeli society as well as the US foreign policies that underpin it. There are other Christian fundamentalists in the Trump White House who agree with Pompeo, significantly Vice-President Mike Pence. Both men also appear to believe a really bizarre backstory that predicts that Israel’s success is a prelude to the second coming of Christ and the subsequent end of the world. (Just as an aside, I have to confess that when I was around five or six I was convinced that Godzilla was real and attempting to crawl through my bedroom window at night. I grew out of this quickly.) Folks like Pompeo and Pence seem so attached to their point of view that, as regards Israel, they carry out the duties of their offices as if they were, as the Blues Brothers would put it, “on a mission from God”.

Such Christian fundamentalists have long had allies among Jewish fanatics – those who insist that Palestine is now the “land of Israel” and divinely reserved for Jews only. Here in the US, before the Civil Rights movement changed things in the public sphere, we used to have hotels that were restricted to white Christians only. No Jews, African-Americans, Mexicans, Chinese, etc. were allowed in. The Jewish fanatics currently supporting and running Israel are in the process of turning Palestine/Israel into a restricted hotel."

WilliamCharles 8 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't call Schumer a scoundrel. The word scoundrel has a few positive romantic associations because of Star Wars and other media. For the behavior you noted, which clearly demonstrates a stance to a foreign country that is non-objective relative to his Oath, you rightly condemn Schumer. A-hole or something similar would be better than scoundrel. I'd be careful though, it could be mere rhetoric aimed at Jewish supporters. I can't think of a Republican who is better. Your context of Israel in the absence of comparable concern about all the Islamic states (that go far worse than Apartheid) begs the question, why.

We don't often agree, but I concur with your assessment here.

I'd have to look back to see where our areas of disagreement were.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.