Agnostic.com

1 2

Ten Contradictions Theists Just Can’t Stop Making

Note: This is not my writing. However, I found it extremely interesting enough to want to perpetuate it on my profile page.

By Godless Mama | 5 January 2016

Talking with theists about religion sometimes – and by sometimes, I mean almost always – feels like Groundhog Day, a painful and monotonous slog that simply travels the same territory over and over and over. I get weary of both hearing and repeating the same arguments so frequently, so I decided to compile the most tired (not to mention the most tiresome) themes that I encounter, so that going forward I can simply point people here when they trot out these inevitable gems.

1. Explaining what god is or wants, then saying humans cannot understand god.

2. Claiming that god loves us all, then rationalizing human suffering.

3. Pretending that free will and a divine plan are not mutually exclusive.

4. Behaving hatefully, then saying “god bless.”

5. Declaring god as the source of objective morality, then interpreting scripture.

6. Labeling god as omnipotent, then blaming evil on the devil.

7. Seizing upon minuscule inconsistencies in highly specialized scientific disciplines as a failure of science to explain the universe while accepting supernatural explanations for which there is no evidence.

8. Subscribing to religion, then labeling the religious beliefs of others as “crazy.”

9. Accusing atheists of cherry-picking scripture to make it look bad.

10. Claiming membership in one of the thousands of sects of religion as authority for telling non-believers why our interpretation of religion is wrong.

CaptainAwesome 4 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every time anyone try to make me believe in their religion I ask them to explain how the human race came to be. According to creation, god created Adam and Eve who had two sons, Cain and Abel. Cain kills Abel. Somehow Cain end up marrying a woman. Where did she come from. Maybe Adam and Eve had other children. If one marries his sister and has offspring, over time there would be some serious genetic issues. Mental retardation and physical ailments would develop over 2 or 3 generations. (the Germans tried such an experiment in the late 1800's in South America and within a few generations the problems were clearly visible due to the lack of diversity in the gen pool.).

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.