Agnostic.com

5 4

#LivingWhileBlack experiences are the new version of 'whites only' signs

Modern-Day Segregation

"It is a way of dictating who is welcome in certain spaces and who is not. And, as with Jim Crow laws and the black codes before them, American police are playing a role.

“We’ve come to a place, whether they are eager to do it or not, where police are functioning as personal racism concierges,” said Phillip Atiba Goff, co-founder and president of the Center for Policing Equity at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a division of the City University of New York.

“And leaders of all kinds of institutions are searching for creative ways to both avoid calling these incidents what they are — racism — while appearing concerned.”

"When the rapper Meek Mill arrived at a Las Vegas hotel Saturday for a hotel club party, the rapper says he was stopped, told he could not enter the club or any other part of the hotel, and threatened with arrest.

"The hotel told NBC News that the incident "related to a matter of security, not race." The club — not the entire hotel — had reached capacity.

"To some, it was the latest example of a problem that most prominently entered the headlines more than a year ago, when two black men entered a Philadelphia Starbucks for a business meeting and left the store in handcuffs after a manager reported feeling “threatened.”

"Since then, dozens of other black Americans have experienced the unpredictable hazards of eating, swimming, waiting, mowing, napping, banking, walking, biking, barbecuing, cleaning, working, commuting, flying, picnicking and shopping while black.

While these viral incidents are often dismissed as isolated examples of racial anxiety, experts say that the phenomenon points to something far more serious. This, they say, is modern-day segregation.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't understand people. There are a hell of a lot more white people around here that I would be afraid of than any of the blacks. Two white men are in prison here for beating a black man just because he is black. I'll never understand why people hate and fear those who are different.

Remember the 1949 play South Pacific, or was that before your time?

Unfortunately we may all be to blame at some level. We need to learn to recognise and difuse these situations as teaching moments not just react after the fact with disgust. Its like what we learn in first aid classes; most people will likely think someone else will help. Its up to us to check with the victim and see if they need help and if so then ensure they do get the help they need.

Letting even seemingly small signs of racist behavior go gives that act the ability to grow. So let's all speak up and stand up for those who are discriminated against as well as ourselves.

Trump aggravates the situation, but so does religious fanaticism. For example, 'They' belong to an inferior church.

Like my Baptist sister who thinks Methodist are heathens and Catholics aren't christian because they believe in evolution. LOL She was baffled when I explained Catholics are the original christans.

@freeofgod Sorry to be pedantic, but Catholics are themselves a breakaway sect.
The original Christians were a Jewish sect. Then they broke away from Judaism to become distinct, around the year 100. This was the Ante-Nicene period. Here's an extract from wikipedia on Early Christianity
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

'The Ante-Nicene period saw the rise of a great number of Christian sects, cults and movements with strong unifying characteristics lacking in the apostolic period. They had different interpretations of Scripture, particularly the divinity of Jesus and the nature of the Trinity. Part of the unifying trend was an increasingly harsh anti-Judaism and rejection of Judaizers."
The Ethiopian Coptic church predated the Roman Catholics, themselves a breakaway Catholic sect!

@Petter , no problem. I was taught world religions at a Catholic college so there may be a certain twist to the teaching.

@freeofgod It's called "dogma", not twist!! The latter was a dance routine, popular in 1959 to 1962. 🤣😂

@Petter I was going for their own particular thing. First time I've gotten a buzz in over a month and you decide to mess with my little brain. LOL

@freeofgod But I like messing with brains. You have my permission to mess with mine, also. Especially when you mess around humorously.

It is modern day segregation and is made possible by the apathy of Trump and his supporters. It is this very fact has caused it to progress. If Trump says nothing about it then it must be OK and he supports our right to discriminate. A creative way of dealing with all this is very simple - it's racism!

Thanks for posting this. I ive with mixed-race teens. They’re subjected to racial harassment at school, by neighbors, in stores where they’re followed by security. Our 18-year-old boy was stopped in his car by police 4 times in a 3-week period for bogus reasons—“you look lost” was twice given as a reason. He didn’t get a ticket on any of those occasions. Once a neighbor in our upscale neighborhood stopped him when he went to our private community lake. “You don’t belong here.”

It’s not just situations with police, although those encounters often end up with unarmed dead brown people. It’s built into our institutional systems and into all of us in ways we fail to recognize. We are complicit in violence against brown people because we perpetuate the status quo.

Understanding our white privilege, working hard to recognize it, to call it out when we see it happening, humbling ourselves and treating all people as sacred represents some of what we can to to break the systems that are fixed against people of color.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:355062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.