Agnostic.com

11 2

Evil spellcheck

Is spellcheck damaging literary creativity?

findmegenie 4 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I think over all it has actually helpe dme improve my own spelling. Of course I have to pay attention to how the corrections are spelled. So, if used right it can be a lernign tool.

This why I love the Thai language. If you can read it, you can pronounce it correctly. If you can say it, you can spell it correctly, even get the correct tonal pitch.

Other Thai language benefits: no punctuation, no capitalization, no spaces between words, no verb tenses, letters aren't alignment dependent so can be read upside down, an entire word can take up one space because letters can encircle each other.

Imagine the frustration of Thai school children trying to read English!

Just being silly.It does annoy me when it corrects automatically often wrongly

Calling misspelled words "literary creativity" was meant as a joke, right?

Its petty especially when im dyslexic and very creative.

Nope. it's fine. I think when spellcheck comes into play people already know what word they want to use, they just need help remembering the spelling. Honestly I find spelling both necessary and annoying. I mean I consider myself smart but I'll be damned if I don't need help spelling simple words like cinnamon sometimes.

Language is only important insofar as it helps us communicate. So long as we understand what other people are saying, that's all that matters. Of course, I'm stick a bit of a stickler for spelling and punctuation (even though I make mistakes all the time).

If someone needs help with spelling I think that's perfectly fine. It's also fine if they want to use the oxford comma. But god help them if they don't. That's awful, silly, and wrong. 😉

Aww I love anagrams...
Evil
Vile
Live
Veil

Are there any palindromes on your "radar?"

@PappyOnWings There well could be "madam"

It will probably have similar effects as the calculator.

It helps the illiterates.

No. It absolutely is not.

I don't know about literary creativity....as far as ordinary people knowing how to spell, how to use pronunciation, grammar, etc., I'm not sure if it helps or hinders....are people getting dumber because they rely on spellcheck, or were they already dumb, and spellcheck saves them from complete idiocy? It's kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg.

marga Level 7 Mar 11, 2018

A university professor once gave a secretary a 60,000 word hand written document to type up. She discovered more than 900 spelling mistakes. It was remarkable, considering that he was a professor of English Literature.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35532
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.