Agnostic.com

2 0

How does the phone mic distinguish ...?

This is a technical question about sound, microphones, and cellphones. I am baffled that sound emanating from my phone's speaker is inaudible to someone I'm talking to on the phone. If i can hear music from my phone, the same music should be picked up by the mic that I'm speaking into. But it is as if the music is completely absent, not just softer. The only way i can figure is that there's a digital "negative sound" signal that erases exactly the music that the mic is picking up before the signal leaves my phone as radio waves. Is that right?

vertrauen 7 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most likely intentional noise-canceling digital signal processing (DSP) technology, but in this case it might be that instead of being broad spectrum, it's narrowly focused on the sounds coming from your phone other than the phone conversation. I doubt there's a way to disable it.

If it's something you want, you might want to try a voice chat app, but it might do the same kind of thing. I guess it depends upon the app.

We use WhatsApp. Same thing as on regular phone

It is quite complex, and amazing that it happens real time.

But the simple explanation is any sound the ear speaker picks up at the same time, or slightly before the mouth mic, gets dropped.

I would guess it uses the same algorithms used in noise cancelling headphones. It would easier too because the phone knows exactly what sound to subtract from the waveform.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:355767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.