Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK If Democrats Pull Their Punches, Donald Trump Will Knock Them Out | The Nation

"Who said: “The people don’t want a phony Democrat. If it’s a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat, and I don’t want any phony Democratic candidates in this campaign…”?

[...]

These are all quotes from then–President Harry Truman, who today is generally imagined as the embodiment of a traditional mainstream Democrat.

When he spoke to the 1952 national convention of Americans for Democratic Action, he had some advice to those who shared his partisanship: “The first rule in my book is that we have to stick by the liberal principles of the Democratic Party. We are not going to get anywhere by trimming or appeasing. And we don’t need to try it.”

So don’t let anyone tell you that the back-of-the-polls Democrats who are trying to distinguish themselves by calling for a more tepid approach to the 2020 presidential race are calling the party back to its roots. They are proposing a strategy that Truman correctly identified as a recipe for defeat."

WilliamCharles 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another Trump troll.

Stop your mean-spirited Democrat-bashing. This is 2019, not 1952.

Go join a Republican website.

Truman's insight would have been equally apt for 2016. I fear more Democratic middle way incrementalism might just give Trump a 2nd term. The time to cull the herd (24 candidates at present) is now. I feel many of the centrists could easily run as moderate Republicans.

You do remember an Obama interview where he considered his positions in that mold, don't you? His 8 years left too many people behind, who were then desperate even for the promises from a charlatan the likes of Trump. He bailed out Wall Street instead of Main Street. The bankers who nearly tanked the economy came out of it unscathed (and unprosecuted).

Biden's return to "normalcy" ignores those struggling. He even had the nerve to express zero empathy with his "Give me a break!" comment. I am sorry you feel that I'm some sort of enemy infiltrator. You couldn't be more mistaken.

We were right about Hillary in 2016, and we see the same sort of shenanigans by Establishment Dems desperately seeking to cling to power. They've been legend at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Our future is too important for that to continue.

:-----:

"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."

~ H. L. Mencken

@WilliamCharles Very well put.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.