Agnostic.com

6 1

Do you believe time exists?

CoffeeGoddess 5 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

just a measurement.... does a inch exist?

Time is but a human made construct, nothing more nothing less.

Not really but I do get comfort from my clock and having something that tells me when to put my dinner on - I'd like a speaking clock that said - finish that sentance my love its nearly time to start the dinner - look at me!

I used to live 2 miles away from Greenwich Mean Time and was terribly disappointed when i was little to see the puny very ordinary clock on the wall that keeps the time. Outside the observatory is also a line of bronze some king put a finger on his nose and his right arm out and that became a yard measure and it was put in the ground as a weights and measures initiative but in the summer the bronze gets longer, and shorter in the winter due to heat and cold .

Time is a man-made quantity. Time cannot be observed by the senses, whereas both distance and motion can. So I claim that only distance and motion (speed) are natural and time is man-made. Physicists have it wrong. They say distance and time are natural quantities and speed is the man-made quantity defined as distance divided by time. This is as wrong as can be! But you can't tell tell them that. I've gone in scientific sites and tried but they won't listen. What's more, they won't explain why. They just write you off as an uneducated ignoramus. Regardless, the truth is that time is a man-made quantity, and it should be defined as distance divided by speed. The reason it works the way scientists do it is because the way they "define" speed, by speed = distance/time is mathematically equivalent to the way it should be, to define time by time = distance/speed. But the way we measure time is to observe something moving through a distance at a constant speed, whether it's a sundial or a clock. Even the cesium clock of the National Bureau of standards depends on cesium vibrating. But what is vibration? Motion through a distance! So a clock depends on a constant motion through a distance to operate. However a speedometer does not need a built-in clock, for it operates on electromagnetism. But you can't tell that to a scientist, so don't bother trying. They'll just say you're dumb without giving any explanation. Grr! LOL

Having an MS in Mathematics means you have taken abstract algebra, and know about noncommutative division rings. Hamilton discovered the 4-dimension of these rings -- the quaternions. Relativity and the space-time continuum are explained within the quaternions, with time being the 4th dimension in that ring. Time is the "weird" dimension, in that it is the imaginary one (as opposed to the x, y, and z, components being the real dimensions).

Time is not a particle, string, or force, but a dimension. It is these other things that travel and exist within these dimensions. Hope that helps.

Hi,
For me time exists but only in the moment, as 'Jean Paul Sartre said;
'The Past is The Future'

But all you're doing is saying the words "for me, time exists but only in the moment", you aren't justifying your saying it.

Isn't time just a description of a moment, mostly so it can be referenced? Wouldn't it seem hard to argue it doesn't exist?

History would be so difficult without some construct to let you know what events happened and when.

Oh, I think it's great that humans invented the process of timing, and it's great that we use this wonderful invention to categorize history.. My only complaint is the fact that nobody, including scientists, will admit that time is a man-made invention. Time refers to the numbers obtained by our activity of timing. It is a man-made quantity, defined in terms of something moving at a constant speed. It is not a natural quantity as are the observable quantities distance and speed, which time is defined in terms of.

@EdwinMcCravy didntthey also when standardising time knock a few centuries out, in order to make the maths easier?

@jacpod But that wouldn't make any difference. I'm just saying that distance and speed are observable, and time is a quantity invented by man as "how much motion has taken place in our device since we last looked", "i.e. How much has that clock hand moved since I last looked?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.