Agnostic.com

4 0

Logic when technology fails.

@LeesaMay posted an interesting discussion regarding technology.
We had a short power out here on Saturday, the only reason I knew is I went to do my daily meter check, we track all our energy use. The meter wasn't running. 3 people in the house, all on computers, but they have battery backup so no-one noticed. A visitor laughed saying now I couldn't have my coffee. ummm, just put the kettle on the gas bbq? Last year a neighbour was moving out and was 1/2 way through washing the floor and the water supply to the area as turned off, she came over in a mad panic didn't know what to do. I gave her a drum of water from my pool. People amaze me how they drop their bundle with the slightest hiccup. I know technology has gotten better, systems are more reliable, in the past I have cached web sites on our own networks, speeds access and you can keep working, but of course you have to refresh to make sure you have the most up to date information. We don't do that any more because things are faster and more reliable. Makes one wonder what happens if the super markets close for a few days?

Rugglesby 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i am always prepared to fast for a couple of days.

Well in the UK people buy loads and loads of everything just for the 1 day that the shops are short and actually cause shortages by doing it, then about 4 days later theres shit loads of food and rubbish and people feeding ducks all the dry bread they were never going to eat anyway. its criminal. this birthday about a week ago my car was fucked when I was taking it for its M.O.T and that night my pump went wrong on my 500 gallon tank and I got by. common sense here like the common frog is now a rare thing.

sorry, i meant to say people panic buying for the one-day shops will be shut ie Xmas and causing the shortages there afraid of.

One of my favorite trips was to Normandy. 6 guys in a farnhouse no computers (this was the 80`s) no tv, radio or electric. Just a guitar for entertainment, a well for water and an open fire to cook on. We sang, told stories and drank. Makes you wonder if all this is that good in the end.
A few months ago the govt of Togo switched off the internet to try and stiffle the opposition. It tended to backfire as most people just resented them for it. Plus most of the sex meet ups happen online there. What did happen was people went out more, libraries got frequented and people talked to each other instead of their phones. Maybe it would be an idea to have an internet holiday once or twice a year? Like a bank holiday but more wide ranging.

what a brilliant idea!

I heard a story a couple years back about a young woman who was in a minor panic because the battery had apparently died in her car fob and she couldn't open the doors to get in. She had evidently completely forgotten that the key still worked to open the doors.

Then, there are the idiots who follow their GPS directions off into ponds and canals.

LOL! my car is so old, it doesn't have a remote key or a gps - how safe is that?!

She could have gotten into it but it might not have started because there might not be enough power in her fob to switch off the immobilizer.

@273kelvin possibly. But, I'll bet you any amount of money if that were so, the first battery she would have changed would have been the one in the car.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.