Agnostic.com

5 3

QUESTION Steven Pinker: Identity Politics Is 'An Enemy of Reason and Enlightenment Values' | The Weekly Standard

Choice quotes from the article.

"But when it [identity politics] spreads beyond the target of combatting discrimination and oppression, it is an enemy of reason and Enlightenment values, including, ironically, the pursuit of justice for oppressed groups."

"There is, as you recognize a “liberal tilt” in academia. And you write about it: “Non-leftist speakers are frequently disinvited after protests or drowned out by jeering mobs,” and “anyone who disagrees with the assumption that racism is the cause of all problems is called a racist.” "

"Goals such as happiness, knowledge, love, beauty, and insight are in no way antithetical to reason. Indeed, reason can be a means to attaining the goals that are most valuable and enduring: to avoid fatal attractions, silver-tongued seducers, or charismatic despots that offer a short-term rush but long-term misery."

As a (lol) minority and academic myself, I agree with his assertion; what do you think?
Do you think identity politics are the enemy of reason?
Do you view modern academia as "left tilting" and is that a problem?
Do you think subjective goals and objective reason can coexist?

TheMiddleWay 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, yes and yes.

I am reading a book "Democracy in Chains - the deep history of the radical right's stealth plan for America" by Nancy MacLean. Have just started it and find that she is correct so far. What we are in the beginning of is a take over of the country by the rich. Just looked at the clock, have to get to bed. Sorry more later.

Define "identity politics.". What are you referring to with this term?

Identity Politics: = The death of the Democrat Party and the election of Donald Trump.

5,020,001 people seem to rule this nation of over 300,000,000.

5,000,000 NRA members +
20,000 that don't know which bathroom to use +
1 Vladimir Putin

Identity Politics have hurt this nation badly. We voted for Hope & Change in 2008....... Hope was gone when Obama's 1st order of business was to pay off his masters with American Homes and Jobs. Change? I've just got a bit of change in my pocket left.

I don't worry about left leaning acedamia......it's a left brain/ right brain thing. Some teach. Some do. Who the hell listens or cares?

twill Level 7 Mar 14, 2018

It most certainly is an enemy of reason. Though I am a liberal, I find identity politics to be anti liberal. And the sad thing is that many liberals don't realize it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35911
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.