Agnostic.com

9 2

QUESTION Do Antidepressants Work?- Results From New Comprehensive Study Shows Modest Results

I've had my own struggles with the black dog. My perspective is that they do work, on a limited basis. But I also think they are definitely over-prescribed, much like opioids. There are better ways to deal with mild depression than pharmaceuticals-namely therapy, exercise, and time.

BookDeath 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take a med called Pristiq and it helps. Medication is an individual thing. Some people find that getting out of bad situations is all they need. Others find that eating healthy food and exercising helps. Others find that meditation, yoga, nature walks work. I think it is best to try non-drug methods first. If people decide to try meds, it is important to see a competent professional, also important to read and learn. Some people take meds for a few months. Others take meds for decades. You find out what works best for you.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

I can't function without them, but my experience coulde be unique. It's not my place to tell you what to do. It's good that you are doing your research. We could all benefit from being our own advocates. Thanks for your prespective.

It almost always takes a comprehensive approach if we're talking about drastic improvements to mental health. Antidepressants can be VERY helpful (sometimes life-saving), allowing someone to at least get above the surface of severe mental illness and function enough to be able to seek out other important/vital treatment options--therapy, exercise, routine, etc. I am living proof of everything I have just said. It can be a trial-and-error process to find the right meds, the right doctor(s), the right routine, the right combination of treatment methods. Lots of horror stories and bad experiences out there to inform one's condemnation of medication, therapy, etc. While we need to take those into consideration so that professionals can be held accountable and people can avoid common problems, I feel we also need to be VERY careful of the language we use and the messages we put out there because there is already so much unfounded stigma out there that deters people from getting help. I'm for a balanced approach to both considering and pursuing treatment. There is good, there is bad, and everyone's different.

I stumbled across an article, which if I find it I'll post it, that mentions the promise of a new blood test for cortisol.
The study suggested that people who don't process cortisol efficiently are prone to depression, suicidal ideation. Now, both good and bad stress can raise cortisol, your body doesn't know the difference, so that to me would explain why some who seem to have had it all mystify us when they check out permanently. This sounds like a plausible theory to me.

After my 1st divorce discovered I had inherited a chemical imbalance from my family. Have taken meds ever since and I'm a much nicer and happier person.

Dr. David D. Burns was onto this in the eighties. Old news.

Captivating read. I agree that they are often over prescribed and used as a bandaid when better options may be available, but I'd still rather over prescription than under. When someone first makes the decision to seek help and their doctors recommend a certain medication they are at least taking a step in the right direction and doing the best they can do. I'd much rather people had access to resources that might help them, then to limit their resources. I do, think that it would be great if those doctors would recommend other options as well or instead of when appropriate.
I hope that like minded researchers will continue to demand information on this issue. It'd be great if better medications could come out of it, or even just more honest results about the effectiveness of the product.

Mea Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Mild yeah, but in extreme cases its necessary

One problem is that it is so hit-and-miss. Depression is caused by a variety of issues, and if the doc "guesses" the wrong cause, he/she may prescribe the wrong cure. No intention of dissing any therapists out there, it's a tough job.

godef Level 7 Mar 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.