Agnostic.com

9 1

Who has struggled with attempting to have a relationship?

So, this is coming from the perspective of someone who has an Autism Spectrum Disorder and for some context I've only ever had one real relationship that ended badly, and I've been realizing that I really don't like being alone and do want a chance at finding someone who I can spend my days with and grow old with and support and be supported by (I'm a straight man for additional perspective) and I have been trying to meet and talk to more people but I can never seem to find the right way to do it. I guess what I'm trying to find out is how is it possible to be intimate when intimacy itself is so contrary to my own nature?

Elliotk86 4 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who hasn’t? Neurotypical or under the umbrella? Relationships are hard. Period.

I completely understand that last line. Giving what’s needed, without giving too much.

I love a few people who are autistic. Mostly high functioning, though one friend is not. He loves to cuddle and snuggle though. I myself am a level one aspie.

Who hasn’t? Neurotypical or under the umbrella? Relationships are hard. Period.

I completely understand that last line. Giving what’s needed, without giving too much.

I love a few people who are autistic. Mostly high functioning, though one friend is not. He loves to cuddle and snuggle though. I myself am a level one aspie.

Life long struggle, not sure I have the emotional energy to deal with it anymore. Maybe I'll take up something easier like herding cats or milking sea cows!

Relate totally, I have huge issues with intimacy, but do manage it, I am fine with my own kids, somewhat awkward in the early days of gettign to know someone, I have ocassionally gotten over my issues with a couploe of ladies. Not for a long time though. I htink you need to find someone who is compatible with your needs.

I don't know of ANYone who has not had their struggles regarding relationships - not a one.

Granted the struggles can be very different from relationship to relationship, and have very different timing during the duration - whatever it ends up being - but they are there regardless. But then, no one ever said emotional closeness is easy , or guaranteed to everyone either ...

For those who are successful at realtionships, or arent good at it ,often it isnt easy, its hard work when real emotions are there beyond attraction

I would have to imagine that the folks who are really good at relationships struggle with it themselves.

I agree!

I should add that I have a friend, that was married to an Autistic guy, who passed, a couple of years ago. She has two early 30s, sons...one married last year and the other one is still single. So, just keep looking and find ways to be happy while you are searching, for 'that' person. Good luck! My friend was a special ed teacher and just published a book, on Autism! You must keep working toward your goal, even when it is hard and disappointing. That is what my friend, would say, too! (PS: both sons are Autisic!)

Probably every person on this sight!!

on this site, and way beyond !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.