Agnostic.com

12 7

Have you ever cut a project too short?

This morning, my friend Billie pinned up the hem of the blue dress.

But while trimming excess fabric from the hem, I accidentally cut into the dress underneath. Bad word. Now the blue dress will be 2" shorter than the red dress.

Perhaps I can wear it with black tights and boots.

So, I'm making a tiny, rolled hem. This drapey, stretchy fabric flings pins everywhere. Deep breaths.

Short dresses are trickier than skirts because they ride up when you sit down.

After being laid up with a broken toe, my legs don't look as muscular. Once I start running and hiking again, my legs will regain muscle.

Sigh.

LiterateHiker 9 June 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love your vibed colour patterns they catch my eye,,i like vived paintings also..the vived colour ,know one will notice anything,,the mistake is only for you to know,,now one else will know the diferrence unless you mention it, love the pattern on the dress you made for your daughters Claires wedding

@RoyMillar

Thank you! I alter patterns to softly follow my body lines.

Here I'm in the burgundy dress. Group cheer! Claire and Matt's wedding, Sept. 2018.

simple but elegant that follows your lines,,way to go

Sew a solid panel in the same type of fabric around the bottom that matches the dark blue in the pattern. It'll act like a border and also lengthen the dress.

It looks fine ! 🙂

Buddha Level 8 June 16, 2019

"Sewing words". Linda was hiding out in her sewing room yesterday as the thunderstorms moved through the Miami Valley. She was completing a fabric book one of her "older" singing group gave her.
I find it interesting that "sewing" words & "woodworking" words can all be found in a common dictionary. Did you use these magic incantations in the completion of your project?

You can put a ruffle on the bottom.

@Stephanie99

I hate ruffles. Don't own any country-western clothes.

Instead, I like simple elegance.

Here's a dress I made for daughter Claire's wedding, Sept. 2018. My hair was in a French twist.

You look great anyway!

Add a contrasting sheer panel to the bottom.

@KKGator

Sheer? No. The point is it shows too much thigh.

I can wear it as a tunic with black tights and boots.

All look terrific!

@Redheadedgammy

That is the blue dress before I cut it too short. Rest in peace.

I think they look great!

@Hama765

That is the blue dress before I accidentally cut it too short.

No way for us to tell how short short is as you did not get a picture of you in the blue dress. Would you mind, terribly, to model that lovely blue dress while you are seated, looking at the camera. It’s the only way we can give you a proper comment. Thank you so much. 😇

Being a woodworker, and having many years of experience I do not cut things to short! I get out the board stretcher, an enhancement for the table saw. Now because I know you are laughing (I hope since I am not arrogant) I get the opportunity to figure out how to make the mistake an enhancement or in other words I get to start over. The other day I was cutting a front door for a home to heoght and missed the mark, since I was also making the jambs, the structure that holds the door, I was able to shorten the jambs and thus any notice that the door was short was circumvented. I got lucky!!

Brings to mind a phrase often heard in the wood working trades - “dammit! I’ve cut this board 3 times, and it’s still too short!”

Funny how that works, I am working on a machine that can add wood back onto a board. When I get this figured out I will be rich.

@dalefvictor
That would save asking the new guy to go get a board stretcher!

@Haemish1 The metric board stretcher.

@Haemish1 I read your profile page and musical instruments are also an interest of Jerod Lanier, google him he is quite interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.