Agnostic.com

7 4

Announcing New Group: Monarch Butterflies and Other Pollinators

Initial emphasis will be on how all of us can help increase the numbers of monarch butterflies, a threatened species. The reasons for the decline in the monarch population are explained in the first post on the group site. For several years, people have been assisting the monarch population by nurturing eggs and/or caterpillars through the metamorphosis and releasing them as full-grown butterflies. This process requires no special equipment, very little cost, and only as much time as you are willing to put into it. For each of the last 4 years, I have raised and released 50 to 100 monarchs.

Monarchs are found all over the continental US and much of Canada. If you are already a gardener, you have a head start, but previous knowledge is not necessary. Everyone is welcome to join.

As the group evolves, it is hoped that members who have interest in other types of butterflies, other pollinators, and native plants that attract pollinators will become involved and share knowledge with the group.

MikeEC 7 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Monarch at Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

The 4 different milkweed species thriving on my 4 acres are sacred. Join the Xerce Society. Help Mexico preserve the last remaining forest by which the Monach winters. Boycott Monsanto & other companies selling neonicodinoids which destroy the milkweed plant. And tell them why!!! Contact your village/town/city hall & urge them not to use this particulat herbicide. Get involved & plant milkweed & nectar plants instead of the ubiquitous & barren mono culture of the lawn scourge.

Everything is a threatened species thanks to man and including man. the only real help we can give is cutting down human population drasticly

True, Homo Sapiens continues on the path to eventual extinction, but providing a little assistance to species such as Monarch butterflies that are on a more accelerated path because of actions by Homo sapiens seems like the right thing to do.

never give up

Monarch larve feed exclusively on milkweed, grow some.Adults feed on flowers, plant flowers they like. See Wikipedia.

I live near Pacific Grove CA and it is known as "Butterfly Town USA. The Monarchs migrate there every year. It's quite spectacle some years to see them.????

I have heard that. Monarchs are the only North American butterflies that migrate.The majority migrate to a location in Mexico, but some that live in the western US migrate to southern California.

@PappyOnWings Plan B is California

@Countrywoman Right. Hopefully, there is enough forest available in Southern California and that the descendants of those butterflies that have hibernated only in Mexico will be able to find the forest in Southern California. I am aware that milkweed is critical for their reproductive cycle, but I wonder if the oyamel fir tree is the only type of tree in which they will hibernate?

Couldnt find it

I just checked - it is listed as a new group.

Count me in

great - you are number !!

@PappyOnWings I haved scanned the entire list twice and searched and I must be looking in the wrong place

@btroje Did you try finding it this way? Click on MEET, then choose GROUPS, then click on the tab toward the left that is labeled NEWEST. It should be at the very top of the list. Let me know if it's not, and I will send a note to admin.

@PappyOnWings nada and I read through the whole list again

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.