Agnostic.com

2 0

Help kids even though it's through a (bad, IMO) religious organization?

An acquaintance (parent of a student at the school where I work) is gathering donations of children's books for a school in Uganda. Given what I know about the anti-LGBTQ laws in the country, I decided to look into the school before considering donating. I found them on Facebook and messaged the director to ask about their position on homosexuality. It was a polite exchange, but he said that they are a Christian school and they teach that it is a sin. I have books, so do I donate them?

• 3 votes
  • 6 votes
carlyhorton 7 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can give you the address of an orphanage in Uganda that would welcome the books, and you can experience the reward of giving directly. I can also get you addresses for schools in Malawi, the poorest country in Africa. Don't let the religious creeps get credit for your generosity--message me.

Carin Level 8 June 17, 2019

Regardless of beliefs, they are just kids, they also need studies, and if you get lucky, through studies and questioning what they are teaching, it matches reality, as I did for many years of my life, I was born in a Christian home , that since I learned to read was forced to read the entire Bible within a year, for several years, and every time I read, more questioning I did. And today I am an atheist, and I will continue until I see God personally lol

ylma Level 5 June 17, 2019

Or donate through a non-religious group. I know several personally.

@ylma Thanks for saying that. Education teaches people to think and what do you know, kids will come up with their own thoughts eventually if they know how to think

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.