Agnostic.com

9 2

Thought I knew what a caterpillar is. New definition.

Dictionary.com sends me a word a day. I love it. Today's word: "caterpillar."

Easy, right?

caterpillar

[kat-uh-pil-er, kat-er-]
noun

1. a person who preys on others; extortioner.

I'm supposed to learn stupid slang words? This is exhausting.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use the urban dictionary on line it makes it easier to look up slang

I prefer the fuzzy fuzzy version.

It is also a type of construction/farming equipment. Yes too many slang terms. I gave up.

Interesting this is actually a better definition for the word Caterpillar than the commonly used one
That which we call caterpillar was commonly called a coleworm up until the 17th century.
Piller means ravager of plunderer (same root word as pillage) the cat actually means cat since the damage done by moth and butterfly lava was never seen being done and so was believed to be done by wild cats.
Hence caterpillar Unknown Ravager of crops

Great story. That's a bit like the theory in the days of Gilbert White the great English naturalist that swallows overwintered under water. they were seen swooping over water catching insects and then in autumn they disappeared. No one new about migration in those days so the assumption was that they must be in the water or mud on the lake bottom.

So many multipule meanings for the same word

The way language evolves can be fascinating.

1of5 Level 8 June 17, 2019

This?

Yep - that’s my first thought - even if someone just says “cat” 🙂

New to me

bobwjr Level 10 June 17, 2019

Look up coyote. There’s a new definition based on dangers facing migrants from Central America through Mexico into the U.S.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.