Agnostic.com

30 2

If you are a conservative, do consider insulting the president a personal attack on you?

If you are a liberal, do you consider an insult to Hillary, Obama, Bernie as a personal attack on you?

Why or why not?

Crimson67 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, when I hear un-educated people talking about how 'arrogant' he is/was or how they don't like his 'policies' - No, I don't take it as a personal attack, I just feel sorry that the best way to keep informed that they've apparently been able to manage is to either watch nothing but Fox news, or read stupid russian-bot created/spread memes, or read total bullshit, passed off as 'news' by the totally-bullshit Breitbart news, or Infowars, or whatever other online cesspot of crockery is available to the non-discerning internet troll, I just have to pity them, for the stupid are their own reward..

Constructive critizism is one thing .Wishing an individual dead ,and much worse,like i have witnessed on this site is another matter.

Don't you think people take it as an attack on their choice?

@Crimson67 Isn't it kind of the same as when you insult people's religion? Why should they care as long as they feel strongly those beliefs. My beliefs don't affect them. That is the way it appears to me.

@Crimson67 Exactly!

Those on Obama are terrible when the republicans signed a letter when he was elected not to pass any legislation he proposed! His wife was a very elegant and smart first lady.He did very well for the opposition he faced in office.

I find it an insult to the Nation and wish that it could stop on both sides. It makes us look foolish but I must admit I cannot find words to describe my fear and anxiety with this trumpie guy and his appointees that are ruining the country.! I personally take this admistration as an insult.

As a liberal it does offend me when people start insulting hillary or Obama, but not because of a personal attachment to them (although Obama kicks ass) but because it's always a deflection. Trump people refuse to admit theres any problem with their dictator. Whenever you point out one of his or his administrations many faults, even providing clear, distinct and concise evidence, the reply is always "BUT HILLARY..." that frustrates me to no end. Stop ignoring the problems youre creating!! Freakin cognitive dissonance

Not exactly though I see why it comes off this way. My issue is that criticism needs to a) be backed by evidence and b) offered and answered by its own merit. What I mean is, if there's an issue it should be addressed as presented and responded to without needing to refer/deflect instead of answering.

For instance, if I criticize Trump, the Trump supporter should be able to answer with a claim, and evidence, that shows that I'm wrong. Deflecting to hillary, as I often experience, doesn't answer the question. Even if what they say is valid, it doesn't answer the question. That's what I find offensive. It's also something you see with all politicians, who when asked a direct question just move on to a different topic or spit out some canned generic answer. All I want is intellectual honesty, and the lack of it frustrates me.

I guess a way of saying it is that if im offering criticism, answer that criticism, then present a counterpoint and I will respond to that.

I think a good analogy would be if I was talking to someone about why a Mitsubishi is not a good car due to prices, engine specs, and so on. I would be expecting a counter argument explaining why thats wrong and they're good cars. But if instead of answering my criticism they say "well kias suck!!" The truth or not about kias is irrelevant because we weren't talking about kias, we were talking about Mitsubishi!

The issue I have with Trump supporters is that the need to instantly deflect is practically trained into them due to the nature of their candidate. It's what Trump does and so they pick up on it. For instance, people are criticizing trumps lack of response to Russia's nuclear threat so he attacks an actor on Twitter.

But no, insults to Trump are usually facts just because there is evidence to support it. I'm willing to accept insults to get or Obama if a)they're supported by evidence and b) presented as their own matter and not merely as a deflection.

Holy crap that was an essay lol sorry. Hope it cleared up where I stand because it's not as simple as they're wrong I'm right, as much as my ego would like that 🙂

Edit: just thought of a good analogy. You objected to what I said and that's cool, it starts discussion. But if instead of trying to defend and explain or clarify my position, I just said "well [other poster on the board] said something worse!" That wouldnt answer your question, not even close. Even if that poster had said something worse, it doesn't matter at that point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.