Agnostic.com

9 0

Finding love between an agnostic and a religious person.

I’ve always been curious to ask this question. How do agnostics/atheists find love especially when the other person is religious, particularly Christianity?

I’ve been in potential relationships and the question always comes up, “Do you believe in God?”

I feel that if the male is a Christian, it won’t affect them to the point where they will end the relationship, but with females that seems to kill the relationship, as they don’t want them or their potential family to “go to hell.”

woodstar 4 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am with an ex pastor and we have a mutual understanding that we don't talk religion. Hes too far entrenched to get out and see clearly so i don't bother with the fight. I just watch him with sympathy for a damaged mind

Well, sometimes when I meet women, they will tell me a phrase such as, “I go to church on Thursdays,” so I know they are trying to find out if I’m religious, so I kind of let them go, but maybe I should rethink things.

I can't speak for how a religious believer thinks about romance, but I myself, can't imagine emotionally connecting to someone who thought like that

Burner Level 6 June 19, 2019

Respectfully, how do you find somebody who thinks like you, if you don’t mind me asking?

@woodstar it's not easy. Trial and error, combined with luck.

Religion is OK if evidence-based. Whoops, religion is not evidence-based!

By not choosing someone who is a religious fanatic helps but be careful

bobwjr Level 10 June 18, 2019

Good point, thanks.

Agree to disagree. Treat each other with respect without trying to change the other person.

Since late 2017, I have been dating Bill, a medical doctor who is a Christian and Republican. I am a Democrat and atheist. Bill is funny, kind, patient, loving and tremendously fit. He is a competitive bicycle rider. I LOVE flying in his private plane.

Ten years younger, Bill is an extraordinary lover. He adores me. Likewise.

In 2018, I broke up with Bill because our values are too different. But he missed me.

"One of the happiest memories in my life is was when you took me snowshoeing up in the mountains," he texted in January 2019.

"It's a beautiful day," he texted the next day. "I flew to Wenatchee to ride the Apple Capital Trail. If you can meet me at the airport, want a ride?"

"I'll bite," I replied, amused. "Am going for a run. When do you want to meet?" 90 minutes. "I'll wait for you if I finish riding first," he replied. "It will feel good to rest."

We were thrilled to see each other. So we started up again. We're having fun.

Awesome, I feel that love has absolutely no boundaries.

Sounds to me like maybe you are dating the wrong people. I have never been in a relationship whre the question 😀o you believe in god " came up or would have even made a difference.
Behavior, values, smell,.sex and intelligemce always came up way ahead before religion.

Most times, you don’t know who you are going to meet. I feel that most religions don’t put to much energy into it, but some Christians are on a different level with it.

Not for likes of y......

In my experience, the male non-believers are way more tolerant of that kind of difference than the female believers, so it ends up being a dealbreaker on the part of the believer, which is all that matters. In my online dating experience with Match in my area, only about 25% of the women my age will accept or be open to dating a non-believer as indicated in their profiles. As far as believer males, I don't know enough about their attitudes on this kind of difference to comment.

I have been with believers. They weren't really religious. They didn't go to church, so it never was a problem. I have only had one conversation concerning religion with any woman I dated, lived with, or married, and it was not a problem. Being single half of my adult life, I was socially active, so I have known quite a few women. Maybe l just attract heathens. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.