Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK America's Dental Health Crisis: Modern Life Causes More Tooth Decay, and Care Is Increasingly Unaffordable | Common Dreams Views

"The loss of a tooth to disease may prefigure other losses in life quality. In terms of oral health, complete tooth loss, or edentulism, has been called the β€œfinal marker of disease burden.” An extraction is emblematic of defeat. The extracted tooth will not grow back. But when routine care is long deferred, when more complex procedures are out of reach or not an option, the extractions serve the urgent need of relieving infection and relieving pain."

WilliamCharles 8 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After my open heart surgery, the doctors told me now dental health is critical.
I just agreed with them and just smiled.
I didn't have any funds to pay. That's why Veterans go to the VA.

I wish the stupid VA provided dental! I have no other insurance because no one wants to hire full time πŸ˜’

@Remi And now the remedy is to get dentures. I have to pay about five grand in August.
Medication really damages the teeth. So does a hiatal hernia.

My poor mother last year had to have her tooth removed ( oral surgery) she is uninsured...cost her 1200.00 dollars...and her shitty rich family member's one of which is a millionaire...wouldn't help her out...she had to scrape the money together and couldn't pay her car payment that month...

That's awful on every level. All these stop gap measures in dealing with health care make me so damn angry. M4A

Around the time of the ACA being debated, there was an excellent essay by a dentist talking about how essential it was for dental care to be included. He wrote of how preventive care particularly, saved considerable money in treatment considering how expensive treating issues late becomes.

It is also a quality of life issue. And people tend to put off what they can't afford. I know even when I was insured, the portion out of pocket and the yearly maximums often made timely treatment burdensome.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.