Agnostic.com

12 0

Is insecurity going to ruin my relationship? I'm a recent widow and am seeing someone. He's out of town this week and I absolutely go insane if 24 hours goes by when I don't hear from him. The last time I was this insecure I was in high school and I believe it's something that happens during the grief process. I would add that neither one of us are tech savvy, him less than me, and we're communicating by email. I guess I just need someone to tell me to sit on my hands and not email him asking where he is and what he's doing and why haven't I heard from him. I'm a mess. EDIT: I'm not a mess anymore. I'm sitting on my hands. The insecurity comes like a wave sometimes and then it's gone. Hopefully I've kicked its ass to the curb for a while.

ProudMerry 7 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is understandable.

Take yourself out on dates while you are waiting. Seriously. Go do something fun.

My VSS-O and I use text a lot (we both get a bit antsy when we fail to see each other less than twice a day). Mostly we just send "I love you"s and "How was the day?" to try to keep it less stalkerish. It's a useful way to deal with the need to see one another. We too are long out of high school so the feelings are not confined to that part of life. And yes there are grief and abandonment issues tied up in the need for both of us too. And as LadyAlyxandrea says, lots of talking in person, seriously about the relationship.

not good, take a metaphorical valium or you'll suffocate him

You are trying to CONTROL him. Back off or he will leave.

Really if he is going to cheat hhe can do that in a few minuits excuse my spelling depending what you consider cheating. even sex he could do quite quickly really so emailing won't change that at all. it will just eat you up till you force him to leave you. if you care about each other and don't like being on your own voice this to him. if he cares he will help you. if he doesnt he doesnt care. theres nothing wrong with wanting to chat as thats what couples do. 24 hours is a long time in a new relashionship. I would just have a good chat when he is home about this.

I empathise, had the same problem but in reverse. I used to travel almost every week for work, usually all week. My wife didn't work and had a cell phone. She would often miss my calls and not call back until hours later. Drove me nuts. I was alternatively worried that something bad had happened to her or that she was cheating on me.

Yes, you are right, sit on your hands and don't email him asking where he is and what he's doing and why you haven't heard from him.

I was on a business trip last week. I didn't have time to communicate except at night at my hotel as every other moment I was with someone, doing something. That's why I went.

If I had someone calling, texting, or e-mailing me more than a few times during the workday, it would drive me nuts.

I recommend setting clear expectations about how often you communicate when he's out of town. Good luck!

Hmmmm......How long have you been seeing each other? Or, how many actual dates have you been on?

Have you had the "We're exlusive" talk, or are you both dating other people?

I remember feeling teh same way, when my boyfriend went away for 2 weeks for Reserves in the summer. Writing letters helped. and he may not be bothered by your questions.

velk Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

Don't sabotage the relationship. Give it time. Keep busy meanwhile.

Feeling anxious about a relationship sucks. I have a couple of single women friends who have described exactly what you are describing and they are not widows.

Is there a reason you can't talk by phone?

Is there a reason you cannot call him rather than "wait to hear from him?"

Insecurity won't ruin your relationship, a lack of understanding will. On their part. Have you explained to them why you have insecurity and why you're uncomfortable with long periods of silence? If they can't understand and help you work through it, the relationship will fail.

@Keyboard-Mama I hope it helps.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.