Agnostic.com

8 3

I'm curious: what is the meaning and history behind the Royal Ascot?

I saw some news coverage about it this morning and I've heard about it previously (probably the first time was when I saw My Fair Lady years ago). Perhaps some of the Brits here could clue me in? The only other horse race I know of where the attendees dress up is the Kentucky Derby here in the States.

bleurowz 8 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where ever there are rich horse owners there are elite club houses members only with dress codes....same way with country club golf memberships....Doctor Ford raped by Kavanaugh both belonged to an exclusive country club where she had been swimming and tanning all day put a dress on over her swimsuit and went straight to his awaiting rapist party ....drunken Mark Judge jumping onto the rape bed bouncing victim and rapist Kavanaugh to the floor breaking his suffocation hand hold over her screaming mouth ....otherwise she would have died raped and "brewskis" poured all over and in her to cover up attempted murder rape evidence....rich kids now reversing polluter decisions of lower courts so all of us can dress up dying of poison in our lungs

Thanks to all that filled in the blanks, I know something more than I did yesterday. 😀

Royal Ascot is a horse racing track in Berkshire...close to London. There is racing there all the year round, but for one week in June there are a series of racing events at which the Queen and other members of the Royal Family attend. There is a Ladies Day on the Thursday on which the ladies are expected to wear high fashion, especially in their headgear....hats are the order of the day! I’ve never been myself, but have friends who go regularly....it’s one of the places fashionable people like to be seen.

On the news show this morning they were profiling a few shops in London that specialize in Royal Ascot wear -- one for the ladies' hats, one for the dresses, and one for the morning coats and top hats the men wear. It was very interesting. They also said there is a bet each day on what color hat the Queen will be wearing -- the first two days it was two different blue ones, then a grey one, then today (Friday) it was raspberry pink.

You need to look up, and go to Either Mardi Gras in the French Quater, or Guavaween in Tampa. both are real fun, and loaded with costumes. and well, a lot of drinking. 😛

I had a roommate in college from Trinidad. I remember her telling me that Mardi Gras is miniscule compared to Carnival. It was also the only time the whole school year she went home -- not for Christmas, not for intersession between semesters, just for Carnival.

I think it’s exactly like the Kentucky Derby. For some reason that particular race just became popular, was attended by Royals and then tradition took over.

antman Level 7 June 21, 2019

Well you need to look at the Melbourne cup in Australia. The whole country gets involved.

To show off your new clothes

Google is your friend.

[ascot.co.uk]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:363937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.