Agnostic.com

16 14

So I’ll just come out and say it, I just joined today and here’s why..
Live in Boca and just heard the podcast with sam harris and Dawkins discussing how one thing that lacks in the atheist (or whatever name you choose to call it) worldview is the lack of community which is akin to why people go to church on the weekends. So I’m married with 2 young kids and would love to set up a friendship with other couples for dinner discussions over good wine and build a small community of free thinkers locally in sunny Boca Raton. Any takers?

flinsco 3 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome!! I've always been a loner, but I enjoy get togethers for potluck/meals. Preparing something with a few good people is relaxing, fun fulfilling.

Welcome. You have a very good idea there wish I was closer. Browse the members at the top right corner of any screen and choose near by. You'll find who's close to you there.

I never felt a sense of community in church.

We have a group that meets for atheist “church” Sunday mornings at a local independently owned coffee shop. Also working on getting Wednesday night happy hours going again. We’re SMART (Southern Minnesota Atheists, Realists and Thinkers).

Dumb question but have you Googled Boca atheist group or something to that effect? If there isn’t one, try networking and start a group.

A big online community isn't enough?

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

A big online community isn't enough?

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

I can do better. I'm packing and getting my cats together right now. We can stay where ever you and your family have room. I think I can get on my feet and move out within a few months. Boca Raton sounds good, and it's still freezing here in northern Wisconsin. I have to get out of this frozen hell hole!!

I think a lot of people still go to church for the same reasons they did in the fifties. In small towns you could be ostracized, even have people not support your business. I have always had the feeling a number of church goers are there becuase they need reinforcement that what they believe is true, becuase they have doubts about the whole thing. Then there are those who are there for the social aspect. They just haven't found the right bar.

I wish I lived in Boca and wish I had young kids again so we could hang out! Alas neither is true. But welcome. I hope you find some families!

Norie Level 5 Mar 13, 2018

I don't live close to you...

Welcome! I came for the same thing!
Reminds me of a joke:
What do you call an Atheist with children?
A Unitarian Universalist

Unfortunately, the closest UU is 25 miles away. That’s not all that far but just far enough to make it hard on a Sunday morning to make it out there.

As a former UU, I appreciate that joke.

Yes, see if there are any UU in Boca

Welcome to our community. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 13, 2018

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Good for you-my Mom lives next to Boca. You should have some takers there.

Religion is good at community building; lack of religion, not so much. That's why I'm a religious atheist: an Atheopagan. I don't believe in gods or spirits or angels or effective prayer, but I do conduct and participate in rituals and holidays that both contribute to my sense of awe and wellbeing in life, and serve as opportunities to pull together groups of people to celebrate with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36489
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.