Agnostic.com

6 2

How do you handle the Holiday issues?

Donna 6 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Me and my wife would not celebrate if we were alone but we do because of our daughter and my 101year old father who places more of an importantace on this type of thing

I consider that I am a god-less pagan. So big bonfire on the Solstice. Need the Sun to come back. Gets dark early, so have some bright lights out side. Like evergreens at this time, so a tree with decorations. We also like some music events. Live music to brighten up the darkness. Let everyone do their thing, just doesn't have to be ours.

I love this idea...

Holidays? I ignore them completely.

Like any other day. Eat with family on Thanksgiving. No gift giving or receiving. Give and receive birthday gifts

Thanksgiving DOES seem to be the one holiday that everyone can come together over. Gifts on Mother's/ Fathers and Grandparents days and Graduations, weddings Anniversaries Baby showers and Award honors too.

Donna: I give gifts for those other occasions also, but I don't treat them as holidays. My mother gets gifts from me year round.

You are a good man. (Smile)

I enjoy them. Nothing better than good paid day off.

Ha ha ha Love it!

What do you mean? Like dealing with religious relatives at holidays? I just try my best not to start and/or get caught up in a conversation about politics or religion. If you hear relatives talking about it, just don't join the conversation.

Yes. Mine have a tendency to ask pointed questions that they do not allow me to ignore.

Do they know you're an atheist? If so and they're still asking those questions, it sounds like they're trying to bait you, which...shame on them.

Yes, some of them are aware, some of them are clueless as I don't bring things like that up around them, but sometimes I find myself on the spot when these, or a guest who might be highly devout to their belief system asks what I think.
Not wanting to spoil a holiday I find myself scrambling for non-offensive ways to make my position known.
It's one thing if someone knocks at my door and tries to pry, but quite another, when you are attempting to keep peace and enjoy a holiday, and your answer could cause a big drama scenario.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:365
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.