Agnostic.com

6 4

Cleveland man asked what shoes to buy for walking. Was I kind enough?

He seems a bit befuddled. Maybe his wife died and he feels lost without her help.

HIM: If you're not busy right now, I was wondering if you could possibly answer a question for me, seeing as you're into hiking and know something about shoes and footwear
maybe I just need to talk to my podiatrist about it... I am wondering if it's really important to gete walking shoes (as opposed to shoes labelled "running shoes", or "training shoes", etc. or just sneakers). I guess I should ask the doctor.

ME: From your profile, I don't know what activities you do. Running, hiking, dancing or walking?

HIM: I'm sorry. I'm just going through some anxiety, despondency, and some issues right now, and I guess some stuff I'm having to work out is mixing up my thinking. I will ask my podiatrist and talk with him.
I just need shoes that are good for walking. I don't have a car, so I walk and ride the bus.

ME: If you have foot problems, see a podiatrist. If no foot problems, go to a good store like REI that sells athletic shoes: running, hiking, walking, cross-trainers, etc. For walking, you need foot support and good traction.

Ask for advice. Athletic shoes and boots are functional, made for the activity. Try on different shoes. Walk around the store to see if they fit and feel comfortable. I cannot believe I'm telling you this. Have you never bought shoes before?

Also, it depends on the weather (snow, rain) and terrain (steep, rocky, slippery, etc.) With snow and ice, wear warm winter boots with traction. With hiking boots, I insist on Vibram soles.

For increased traction on ice, use micro-spikes and hiking poles.

LiterateHiker 9 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You were more than kind. People with foot problems (me included ) will ask almost anyone for their opinion. I asked a lab tech at my doctors office.

speaking of shoes...have long had a problem as a construction accident years ago resulted in my left foot being a tad larger that my right foot...As I can't really afford custom mades, I've made do with off the racks...had gone with 9-1/2W for many years but W seems less and less common these days...recently bought some size 10 work shoes at Fred Meyer...very happy with their feel in walking(like other, I walk and ride bus mostly)...(so, the extra 1/2 on right foot is not a big issue)...

@seattlepanda

Understandable. All of my female hiking partners are wearing 1/2 to one size larger boot. Last year, I bought a 1/2-size larger, narrow hiking boot. Much better.

"The ends of your toe bones are worn down from all that hiking," the podiatrist said, looking at the x-rays.

"That's from descending steep trails," I replied. "It jams my toes into the front of the boot."

I find the walls of various shoes intimidating and daunting. Many of the sales clerks are condescending and have no clue about the shoes. Yes, I have purchased shoes before but so much has changed, and even with research, it is more reassuring to get the opinion or advice from people who look like they know what they are doing.

Often, these kind people are the jumping off point in giving additional information for research and to wait a bit longer before purchasing until I feel more confident...or else, I end up with ten pairs of shoes and none of them are the correct ones for my feet or activity.

Lost in a sea of shoes is uncomfortable to a person like me who hates to shop in a real store.

I have a daughter and one time when she was about five I had her for two weeks. She came to see me and had only two pair of under ware. I took her to a good store and tried to get her some. I had not done this before so I tried to get help, ther was none to be had so we walked away. Had another customer been there I would have explained my situation and asked for help, since there was none I had to do something else. What I did was call up a previous girl friend and have her take Simone shopping. This was hard to do but it worked. Do not judge people for their inability to do seemingly simple things, sometimes people just are out of their comfort zone and need help.

Sounds like someone’s mind is a bit foggy

He is having anxiety and despondency so he is not thinking clearly. Yes, you had to tell him even though he has bought shoes before. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:365007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.