Agnostic.com

14 2

DOES SMOKING WEED MAKE YOU A BAD PARENT?

• 3 votes
  • 31 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
Hugene2002 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No more than having a glass of wine at dinner. Moderation is key with alcohol and other drug use when you are a parent. Plus, it depends on whether you are alone with the kids or if there is another sober adult in the home. If the parents can keep the child healthy, safe, and well cared-for, I don't see a problem with it.

Generally not. However if smoking weed takes priority over raising the kids, then, yes.

Sometimes being a little baked helps with a person's ability to keep listening to some of the dumb shit kids say. I imagine is also helps assuage the guilt that they, the parent, are responsible for every bit of suffering that young life will have to endure throughout it's run. If the parent hadn't had the kid in the first place, no suffering would have ever befallen it.

Orly Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

It doesn't make you bad. It make you human.

JK

JK666 Level 7 Nov 13, 2017

My mother (R.I.P) smoked weed and she was a decent parent. I say decent because she had issues with her own mother, mental and physical abuse as a child, and she never truly recovered from it mentally otherwise she did her best and that is what is important.

I don't think it makes for a bad parent as long as their kids are takin care of (mentally, physically, financially, etc). As long as it doesn't prevent the parent from finding and keeping a job and from providing a safe place to live, then I don't see a problem with it. I have a problem with the people who can't maintain a job and can't provide for their children because all they want to do is smoke pot. I do think weed should be legalized. Theres more and more studies showing the benefits of weed.

No, but lying to kids about the harmful effects of marijuana does.

I'm other as well. For me, smoking is a time for no responsibilities. If I'm being responsible, then I'm trying my darndest to be responsible. Things happen.

Other.
As long as you're not puffing in front of them giving a contact high, taking care of them while you're stoned. Then no, Saul Goodman.

Just don't smoke and drive.

Riding a bike stoned is pretty dangerous as well.

Does drinking alcohol, eating junk food, and gambling etc. make for a bad parent. Anything that is excessive and alters the lifestyle in a negative way is bad for and as a parent.

Moderation and common sense go a long way in good parenting. Smoking has a negative impact on children so precautions are called for.

Betty Level 8 Nov 13, 2017

Common sense rules the day.

My first concern with weed is that it is illegal. Until and unless that changes, I would not be involved with someone who used it regularly, because something I need from my partner is reliability. If they were to be prosecuted for using weed, they can't be reliably present. Children need even more reliability than I do.

A parent should not smoke the stuff around their children, any more than tobacco. Children's minds continue to develop until age 25, and they do not need any kind of substances altering their ability to develop.

I do believe it should be decriminalized - the war on drugs has failed. But if you need to smoke every day, move to state where that is legal, rather than risking custody of your kids or your ability to be present due to a screwed-up legal system that would rather incarcerate a dope smoker than a rapist.

Words of wisdom.

Really good post!

Absolutely not

There are many who use weed to lessen the effects of opiate withdrawal. That isn’t the reason I use it but in the United States we are on pace to have 68,000 opiate overdose deaths in 1 year, half of all kids in foster care are there because of opiate addicted parents. Weed is the least of my concern when it comes to ones ability to effectively parent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.