Agnostic.com

7 0

Would anybody be interested in an agnostic bible study?

This would be a bible study for atheists, agnostics and non-believers. It would refute (and deeply question) some of the things that Christians consider sacred. Also, it would give fuel to your arguments against fellow Christian friends etc.
Thanks for your responcses.

gspeece178 3 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a brilliant idea. I'd find this incredibly stimulating and helpful. My only caveat would be that refutations will need to be well argued so that they are powerful. So yes, this would be fantastic.

Doubting, in my lifetime, I have pastured 3 churches (2 in Florida & one in Texas) This has given me (like one I admire on Podcasts (Seth Andrews)) a rich background, but today I have left these things far behind (I especially despise the so-called Apostle Paul, who I considered an opportunist. I'm new to this and might need help in getting started.

@gspeece178 I joined last year, so I'm also relatively new. I am an ex pastor of 3 large churches in Sydney, Australia. I"m also a theologian. But now I've massive doubts over most of what I believed. I'd love to join this group you propose. And welcome to the site.

@gspeece178, I'm convinced that Paul made up Jesus in order to tell stories for his dinner. The stories were rabble-rousing for the 1st Jewish Roman War.

Thanks for your comment. I am not a troll, as I have shared the bible’s Inconsistency with others and have created doubts in their semi strong beliefs. There are many sitting on the fence and a little push ( insights to their fallacies of the Bible) might be just enough to lead them AWAY from trusting in what it proclaims.

I think that's the wrong reason to read the bible. First of all, the bible is a complicated book (just as the Iliad and the Odyssey...). For example, the first five books (the Pentateuch) are really about the politics of God.

You've got four people arguing about "who's God" gets to rule Israel. J from the South (Judah), E from the north (Israel), and P, the Temple Priests. You have two different factions fighting about who gets to administer the sacrifices (and therefore make the money), Moshite priests, and Aaronid priests. Which means they're also fighting about where the sacrifice can be made. P says only in the Temple, J/E say that high places are okay.

Throughout the rest of the Old Testament, kings are weighed as good or evil depending on the authors/prophets at that time (who were also priests of either Aaron or Moses lineage).

Just like those who study mythology, or psychology, comedy, or heath... you have to love the subject. You have to be drawn into it, otherwise you really don't know the subject matter. It's about loving what you study.

But second, and ultimately, just disproving the bible does no good to those who "believe" it. If this were a reasonable debate, we wouldn't be having it. There's something else... a lot of things I think. So it's going to take a lot more than the bible to work this out.

The Source critical analysis you offer has been seriously questioned by many OT scholars, so I don't think that's the only intelligent way to read the Pentateuch.
I agree that disproving the Bible is foolish if the aim is to win over believers to the cause of agnosticism. However, for those already on the pathway away from faith, such an exercise would be very beneficial.
And studying something with passion does not necessarily have to imply one loves it. In fact, a certain antipathy for what one is studying can provide just as strong an incentive to read it. So too, doubts held with conviction that drive one to search for more credible answers.

@Doubting
The second paragraph of your comment spells it out correctly. If us doubters get a grasp of how the Christians twist (the Word) we would more easily persuade them into becoming at least agnostic to most of it contents. I lived in Melbourne for 6 months. Love your country...George

Absolutely not. I studied that bullshit for 8 years . I wouldnt spend another wasted second. Wtf for?

I'd get a lot more out of a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or Lord of the Rings study group, in all honesty.

All one need do is read the bible once to discover its own internal contradictions. The book quite literally refutes itself, no study needed.

1of5 Level 8 June 26, 2019

Not no, but fuck no. I was force-fed that shit for almost 2 decades. If brought up in a post I might reply about how it's BS. Busy bashing the trump. He does exist.

You could start a group once you get some points built up to prove you aren't a troll.. There might already be one. In the meantime there are many bible related posts to engaging in and you can post your own to discuss.

MsAl Level 8 June 26, 2019

Yes, God forbid you should be a troll because then people might respond to your posts

@lerlo When I refer to trolls it's people participating for the sole purpose of ruining it for everyone else. I block and report when I see it. I appreciate when others do too.

@MsAl and this was such a horrible post they must be a troll right? I just don't like it when people decide who is and who isn't a troll because they don't like a post, but it's nice of you to play police. Thanks for saving my fun

@lerlo I never accused the person of being a troll. I was referring to the rule that doesn't let you start a group till you level up. It prevents trolls by limiting participation until new members show they are not here to ruin everyone's day. I appreciate that.

I liked the post. Discussing and picking apart the bible is a big conversation topic here. It is a good idea.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:365873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.