Agnostic.com

11 2

3 main religions

Using the meaning and purpose of life to understand religion I can see that the 3 major religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism have

1. Central perfect God who all followers must aspire to be like
  2. Prophets or individual humans who allegedly speak for god (priest, imam, etc)
  3. A set of commandments or laws to live by in order to be closer to the perfect human as per their religious texts.

The purpose of these religions as in their goals were to allow human beings to be able to live together harmoniously with minimal hostility. They are essentially a basic legal system designed to protect human beings. Due to the nature of human beings where we look for any excuse to kill one another, no matter how dumb. It is evident that religion could not act as a barrier to reduce loss of life, the opposite has occurred. People throughout history have killed each other in the name of god, in the name of peace or in the name of progress. I understand that senseless slaughter has some logic behind it but it just seems like something that we shouldn't need anymore.

I'm perfectly fine with the way things are, I just think about these things a lot.

• 7 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 13 votes
Lancer 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion is not the only motivator for killing as human seem to be adept at it unfortunately. Stalin and Mao Zedong killed millions and they were atheist as Hitler probably was also.

True. Also I always wonder about Hitler.
I think all that Aryan race stuff was bullshit. Cause think about it, Hitler had black/brown hair and brown eyes. If he openly said people with blonde hair and blue eyes were the ideal human being then almost 80% of his troops would go "I have brown hair, does that mean I will die at the end of this war?" and never would have fought in his army.

I think the Aryan thing was just propaganda spread by the allies. That, along with the fact that NO German WW2 documents can be released to the public until 2099. That was fucking sketchy as hell.

I'm not saying Hitler was good, I'm just saying that I don't like to be lied to by historians. There is so much information about WW2 we will never know for sure, so much knowledge intentionally manipulated by the governments of the time.

Islam,Judaism and Christianity are the worst among all religions, in my opinion. Full of violence and very men dominated. I really don't understand how a women could follow any of these.

Alexa Level 5 Dec 8, 2017

IKR!!!

Especially Islam!

Well, Christianism is Judaism +1 prophet, Islam is Christianism +1 prophet, it's pretty much all the same religion with different sects. They are usually grouped together as "the Abrahamic religions" or "the religions of the book". I personally find other religions much more interesting and diverse.

On a different matter, the idea that "killing each others is human nature" is quite problematic, first and foremost because this is either an ideological or religious statement rather than a proven fact. Accepting that statement removes the notion of motivations behind conflicts, as if killing and war were motives in themselves. Most wars and killings have, behind them, a narrative of justification, based on an ideological principle. Religion is simply a specific kind of ideology.

MarcO Level 5 Nov 24, 2017

Killing is natural. We do it all the time, just because the life we take is a human life doesn't make it any better or worse than the lives of animals or plants.

All life is worth equal value, killing any life, works in the same way

Saying that all life has an equal value, or has a value at all, is either an ideological or a religious statement, not a proven fact. Value is something people give to things, not an intrinsic characteristic of things.

Also, saying that all lives have an equal value causes some rather strange situations; does it mean that, when I brush my teeth and kill millions of bacteria, I am committing a genocide (bacteria ARE alive, after all)? Is it as morally reprehensible as the killing of as many humans?

@MarcO
I'm saying that all life is valuable to me. Not that it is valuable to all. Just look at the difference between African countries and western countries, they have VERY different values for human life.

Also I'm mainly referring to sentient life. So anything that can think for itself, mammals, aquatic life, etc.

Religion was never intended to help people live together. Religions grew out of ancient ideas and agencies. The rules of the religion (each has its own set) were designed specifically to control the masses and guarantee a generous income plus perks and retirement for the holy mucky mucks. Any thought that religion was designed for the benefit of the masses is pure fantasy.

It is rather doubtful that this is how religions started. A more likely hypothesis is that it came out of trying to make sense of the unknown, coupled with specific rare characteristics of people (in some places, schizophrenia, epilepsy and even sleepwalking could be seen as being a medium for other, unknown entities; people who had such characteristics, which we consider health issues nowadays, often become shamans due to that).

The emergence of castes of priests and such, where the notion of wanting to control the masses and perpetuating your group's political power, most likely started around the beginning or larger civilizations, like Egypt and maybe Sumerians before that.

b>@MarcO, the belief in agency is a part of our evolutionary package, but belief in agency is not enough to be religion. I suspect that ritual and systematized activity probably did start up in prehistory, but that would have been without fixed codification until things could be written down -- cast in stone. I agree that what could be loosely called religion began quite early, but it had to wait until after the hunter gatherer phase had run its course before it could take hold when larger groups of people were living more or less stationary lives and societies were growing in size. That would have been about the time of the Sumerian culture at about the same time that centralized power became a norm. We are in agreement about that.

Religions were created so a few could control the many...period

That's a very concise answer. It's also the most accurate one.

I'm hung up on the "live together harmoniously with minimal hostility" bit. Have you read any of the sacred texts of those three religions? They all seem fine with killing those who don't believe the same way. There are verses specifically calling for death for all kinds of silly shit that we now accept as part of human nature. like rebellious kids being stoned by the village elders or wives, upon the husband's discovery they are not virgins, being taken to their father's doorstep to be stoned to death.
The Abrahamic religions are anything but peaceful and kind. They were created to exert control on the populace and have served that purpose dutifully for thousands of years. Funny what happens when people listen to the dude hearing voices that tell him to mutilate his genitals and murder his kid, huh?

Orly Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

You are correct. In the scriptures there are multiple incidents of immoral and heinous activity. I am mainly discussing the modern day religions and their influence on the religious communities. I personally believe that religion is one of the most influential forces in society.

Human beings have always engaged in heinous acts of barbarism against one another. We will continue to do these things for the foreseeable future.

The "live together with minimal hostility" part only works when there is only 1 religion in an isolated community. If there are 2 or more religions in an isolated community then there will be much more conflict than not.

Common law states: Do not harm or kill, Do not steal, Do not enter into false agreement.
These are not hard concepts, yes there are grey areas. Religion is not, nor was it ever necessary for peace, and is, and always was, a cult. Personal philosophy is what it comes down to anyway. Extending it to a group, especially a public group of the uninitiated, can only ever result in confusion of the masses for the sake of the absolute control of a few. I'm sure that's some sort of sociological principle.

Judaism is hardly one of the three major religions there are only 13.3 millions people of Jewish decent on earth and many of those are likely atheists or agnostics. There are more people practicing traditional African religion there are people practicing Judaism. You are assigning far too, much importance to this religion.
[simpletoremember.com]

It was mainly a comparison of similar religions which originated approximately in the same region. Also I already commented on someones comment about these not being the 3 main religions.

Basically, these '3 religions" are all different branches and sects under the umbrella of the Abrahamic one, and each of these 3 have sub-religions existing within them.
I would personally label the major 3 as Abrahamic- Hinduism-Buddhism-but this is a technicality, and Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion because no deity is worshipped.

Kathleen McCauliffe in her book "This is your Brain on Parasites" did a wonderful job establishing the epidemiology and public health policy in the Pentateuch. In my WHERE THE HAIL IS BOUND UP project, I had established other innovations, especially in agricultural policy but also in jurisprudence and commercial affairs. This is not to say that there's an invisible man in the sky or that there's NOT an invisible man in the sky. It's just an interesting and possibly out of place information artifact. But based on Parasites and my own research, I would definitely say this is a fair argument for having rules that people take seriously.

I have to be honest, I don't completely understand all of your comment.

@lancer I'm agreeing with the OP's argument. The Pentateuch has a lot of innovative rules for ensuring success for the new age of urban/settled agriculture/city-state living. There are specific innovations for parasite control and famine avoidance. Many civilizations in that period fell to disease and starvation.

Okay. I understand what you mean now. Someone I know raised a similar point about ramadan, part of the muslim faith where the people would fast for a period of time to reduce the nutrients in their bodies which parasites would feed on, starving the parasites of nutrition. I don't completely know if it's true because I don't have time to research it

The religions tend to foster a "them and us" attitude. We are more virtuous (superior) than them by belonging to our religion. This air of righteousness perhaps allows "just" wars? I think that is why some countries have moved onto secular constitutions. There seems to be a tendency in humans to make distinctions between themselves and use these distinctions to blame others for failures etc. and them move against the others. These destructive tendencies need to be controlled either through internal codes (morals?) or by external codes (laws?).

Full hearted ly disagree Gods have killed more men than the devil of all religions combined...do the math in the judeo Christian Islam he kills less than 20 and God is almost in the millions if not inumerable

To be honest. Killing in the name of god and god killing people are separate. If we believe god does exist then his kill count could include basically every human death ever. But for the sake of "there is no god" we assume that people who kill in his name just use it as an excuse.

So indifference and failure to understand the direction of creation makes one so good when your good but if it we're a man we would call him evil you sir have given god a double standard or have mislabeled your devil as your god

I personally believe that every human is responsible for their own actions, regardless of the excuses (god) they use for their actions. Hence why we incarcerate people when they commit crimes even though some say it was for the sake of their religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.