Agnostic.com

2 0

Dr. Richard Carrier

I enjoy listening to his lectures and debates and reading his blog. I admire how he debates without emotional attachment and sticks to the facts. He has done his homework and is very knowledgeable. Is anyone familiar with him?

SongSiren 2 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I have seen a couple of his videos on U tube and was very impressed

I enjoy watching him. He stays detached and on point. He certainly is knowledgeable. What impresses you?

@SongSiren Exactly as you say. The one I remember was whether Jesus existed or not and I think he gave it a 50% likelihood that he did. He looked at the evidence dispassionately and gave a very balanced summary.

@Moravian my understanding is that he doesn't think jesus existed at all. and, he thinks there is a low probability that there was a popular rabi named jesus, at that time, in that area. i recently watched some debates and lectures. maybe he has changed his stance since you saw him?

I've read a few of his books and took a class of his through the Secular Academy on secularactivism.org. I don't agree with everything he says, but it's good to hear how others think, even if I think differently.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Thanks for the welcome Julie. What is it you don't agree with?

@SongSiren I didn't agree with some of the attitudes expressed in his writings. I'd have to go back to my notes to refresh my memory. I was disappointed in various things, some gender related comments that rubbed me the wrong way. Can't remember each view I disagreed with, lots of little things. Didn't make me want to take more of his classes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368081
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.